PDA

View Full Version : from nursery to childminding help!

crazy_daizy
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
hi all, new to this site.
im currently a room leader/ dep manager in a nursery. i love my job however want to move forward in my career. I would love to start my own childminding business then eventually turn it into a small nursery, however i have no clue where to start. I have a level 3 and first aid. i was prev a nanny and for 4yrs i have been a childrens entertainer. just need to find info on start up costs, courses etc,
any advice would be fab
thankyou.:)

tulip0803
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
You need to contact your local council's Family Information Service. They will advise you on how to proceed.

You will need to do some kind of introduction to childminding practice course even if you already work in a nursery this will be adviced by your LA. You and all members of your family over 16 need to have a CRB check which will be arranged through the registration body. Depending on your Local Authority registration can take anything from 12 weeks to 12 months!

Some councils still offer a start-up grant others do not. Once registered you will need PLI through NCMA or Morten Michel (maybe part of a start-up grant if the council does them). Courses may be part of a start-up grant, subsidised or you may have to pay for them fully your local council will advise.

You will need to get basic safety equipment for when you start childminding but most things can be bought as you go along.

crazy_daizy
12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
You need to contact your local council's Family Information Service. They will advise you on how to proceed.

You will need to do some kind of introduction to childminding practice course even if you already work in a nursery this will be adviced by your LA. You and all members of your family over 16 need to have a CRB check which will be arranged through the registration body. Depending on your Local Authority registration can take anything from 12 weeks to 12 months!

Some councils still offer a start-up grant others do not. Once registered you will need PLI through NCMA or Morten Michel (maybe part of a start-up grant if the council does them). Courses may be part of a start-up grant, subsidised or you may have to pay for them fully your local council will advise.

You will need to get basic safety equipment for when you start childminding but most things can be bought as you go along.

thankyou, will contact them asap
im already crb checked and im the only person in the house so thats one thing i can tick off yay :clapping:

lynncjt
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I would also add that it's worth spending some time finding out what the demand for Childminders is in your area, and what the going rate it so you can get some idea of what you might earn.

Everyone kept telling me there was a demand where I am, but even so it's takes a few months to get going, and I know some other childminders are really struggling.

kareninluton
24-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I set up my childminding business hearing there was demand. Registered in Aug and still not getting money in. I had one client for 7 weeks for 2 hours a week one hour a day starting at 6pm. Now finished that. I have school holiday work but it doesn't start until Feb. It's really slow. But I am hoping it will pick up in the new year. I have joined the local ncma network and attend practice and play sessions as well as advertising in free ads, childcare.co.UK and ******, postcard drops, mums and toddler sessions, children centres and car magnets, i have tried everything. I now need even more patience but its hard not working. The small amount of work I do have I have loved. So do check there is demand or be prepared to be patient.