PDA

View Full Version : giving myself a headache with learning journals

toddlers896
11-12-2012, 08:03 AM
why is it that after 10 months i still cant decide what works best for me in the childrens learning journals.
Ime getting really fed up of it now - everytime i take a photo and go to put it in the journal i think this is too much info or not enough info,
i change it, i put it back, i spend hours on the internet getting ideasoff how it would look best. what is wrong with me. why cant i just be happy with
how it looks and stick with it.
does anybody else have this problem with learning journals?

Ballette
11-12-2012, 08:09 AM
why is it that after 10 months i still cant decide what works best for me in the childrens learning journals.
Ime getting really fed up of it now - everytime i take a photo and go to put it in the journal i think this is too much info or not enough info,
i change it, i put it back, i spend hours on the internet getting ideasoff how it would look best. what is wrong with me. why cant i just be happy with
how it looks and stick with it.
does anybody else have this problem with learning journals?

Yes, I'm exactly the same!!! ;)

funemnx
11-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I sometimes feel it would be easier for us if they gave us a standardized system to do them - at least then we'd know we were doing it right! I've seen your work Trac and it's fabulous dahling! Mrs O has seen too and is more than happy with all that you've done! :thumbsup:

wendywu
11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I am the same but then again at least it proves to Ofsted that i carry out Reflective Practice and am always looking for ways to improve :laughing:

hectors house
11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
My printer packed up yesterday while I was printing off my observation sheets to fill in, so decided I would try to do them straight on the computer (had been thinking about it for a while) but then I have to select a photo, put it in a word document to resize it and then copy it onto observation sheet - where it then misbehaves, moves all the text around and won't let me move it (I have clicked on "tight" on the format option). Took an hour last night to type up 2 observations that would have taken 20 mins to handwrite - technology :angry:!

toddlers896
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I sometimes feel it would be easier for us if they gave us a standardized system to do them - at least then we'd know we were doing it right! I've seen your work Trac and it's fabulous dahling! Mrs O has seen too and is more than happy with all that you've done! :thumbsup:

awe thanks funemnx. You always know how to make us feel better.
Ime trying to make my paperwork smaller but by doing this i feel there isnt enough info. its just trying to get a system that works for me and has all the info
i want into one. I will get there eventuall!!!!y

jo.jo76
11-12-2012, 12:49 PM
My printer packed up yesterday while I was printing off my observation sheets to fill in, so decided I would try to do them straight on the computer (had been thinking about it for a while) but then I have to select a photo, put it in a word document to resize it and then copy it onto observation sheet - where it then misbehaves, moves all the text around and won't let me move it (I have clicked on "tight" on the format option). Took an hour last night to type up 2 observations that would have taken 20 mins to handwrite - technology :angry:!

I'm always trying new ways of doing things too. I tried using word to do mine a little while back but it was awful and took forever. I use publisher now, still a bit of a faff but I prefer type to my handwriting! I can also save bits as a PDF and email to parents.

jadavi
18-12-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't use templates as I can never find ones that are right in every respect plus it makes the LJ look too academic IMO and I find parents don't want that.
I just stick a photo in and make it clear what it shows with a sentence. Then I add a hand coloured circle that links up to parert version of the eyfs printed and stuck at the back of the book.
I then write a sentence of next steps which I follow with a dates of when it was done. Ofsted like to see this link up and at my inspection it was the only bit she was interested in.
I also do summative ass every half term.
I send them home every half term and ask parents to write something. If they don't- I write what they tell me (and I ask them) Ofsted were keen to see this too.