04-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Really simple to make

Making the clay

Two cups of corn flour
One cup of bicarbonate of soda
Three quarters of a cup of warm water
Glitter
Ribbon ...optional

Mix the dry ingredients in a pan then stir through the warm water. Mix over a medium heat, stirring as it starts to bubble and come away from the sides of the pan. When it has started to dry and resemble a soft play dough consistency, take it off the heat and leave it to cool for a few minutes. Turn it out onto the counter and knead it for a couple of minutes to make it super soft and pliable. It should look and feel like bright white play dough!

Let the children knead it more adding the glitter .... You can do this when it's still warm
Then roll out
Using christmas cutters cut out some shapes
Use a straw to make a hole in the top of the ornament if you want to add ribbon and hang them up

You can leave them to dry in room temperature for a day or pop them in the oven for about an hour on 100 degrees C or 200 f

No need to paint them ... We added lots of glitter so they were really sparkly .... Use what colour you wish but the silver glitter does look nice

Star shapes look really nice and glisten in the sun

Easy peasy

Angel xxx

FussyElmo
04-12-2012, 11:51 AM
They turn out well then Angel?

Just have an adversion to using my bicarb if they didnt work :laughing::laughing:

angeldelight
04-12-2012, 11:54 AM
They turn out well then Angel?

Just have an adversion to using my bicarb if they didnt work :laughing::laughing:

Yes they are really easy ...must be if I can do them ha ha

Tried to take pictures but they are dark,we are doing more so I will put some pics up then

Have a go t they are easy

Angel xxx

FussyElmo
04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Be tomorrows after school activity :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Sorry Angel I have just tried this an it was a complete disaster, it has gone in the bin! and I used all my Bicarb up :( Is meant to be made with flour rather than cornflour?

angeldelight
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Sorry Angel I have just tried this an it was a complete disaster, it has gone in the bin! and I used all my Bicarb up :( Is meant to be made with flour rather than cornflour?

Well mine turned out lovely

Was it the actual mix that was not right ?

I hate it when you have to use cups rather spoons for measurements ...I can never seem to get it right either

But for these I used large cups ... Small mugs I suppose they are

I will try and get some pics up

Xxx

hectors house
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Be careful where you buy your bi-carb from or baking powder, or cream of tartar (I use it for playdough) - Asda are not selling the big 130g tubs costing £1.30 but have changed to silly little individual sachets (30g - 6 sachets of 5g - a teaspoon full) but the price is £1.09 - meaning it has gone up nearly 4 times the price, I have phoned and e-mailed Asda and Dr Oeker but they said people in their market research liked the individual sachets. I found normal tubs in Sainsbury's and have stock piled it - I did threaten them with letter to watchdog but haven't had time yet! Asda phoned back and said it was the price of the packaging, I said I don't give a :censored: about the packaging I only want the product inside!

loocyloo
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Be careful where you buy your bi-carb from or baking powder, or cream of tartar (I use it for playdough) - Asda are not selling the big 130g tubs costing £1.30 but have changed to silly little individual sachets (30g - 6 sachets of 5g - a teaspoon full) but the price is £1.09 - meaning it has gone up nearly 4 times the price, I have phoned and e-mailed Asda and Dr Oeker but they said people in their market research liked the individual sachets. I found normal tubs in Sainsbury's and have stock piled it - I did threaten them with letter to watchdog but haven't had time yet! Asda phoned back and said it was the price of the packaging, I said I don't give a :censored: about the packaging I only want the product inside!

i know! i nearly fell over in horror when i saw those silly little packets! and there were 4 of us all standing there looking at them in asda, saying 'how silly'.

tesco & morrisons both sell bicarb in tubs! :D i have a few too now !!!

FussyElmo
04-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Yes but we all know that people couldnt possibly measure their own bicarb etc out :panic:

jo.jo76
04-12-2012, 02:17 PM

We tried this today too! It was a disaster, all dry, crumbly, wouldn't roll and when we did get flat it broke as soon as they put the cutters on it. I left them just to play, making snowballs! Think maybe I over cooked it, ended up adding much more water than suggested and still only just stuck together :-(

*daisychain*
04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Mine was a crumbly mess !! Not sure where I went wrong , then I added water and it became gloop !

littlegremlins
06-12-2012, 12:39 AM
I've seen a method for this that uses double the amount of bicarb to the amount of cornflour....I don't know if this will make a difference to those that tried this?

miffy
06-12-2012, 07:44 AM
What a shame it didn't turn out well for some of you.

I was going to try this but not so sure now.

Miffy xx