PDA

View Full Version : YEAH, I did it... 2 year progress check

cara1235
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
As the title says I finally got around to doing my 1st 2 year progress check and was really pleased with it personally i think it was more informative than my dd's school report.
Parents and sent it back with a little bit of feedback and i am lost for words.......... just to give you a little insight into them....... they are polish and little one is only spoken to in polish at home, i obviously speak english to him and also include as many polish words as i can

This is their feedback-
R is picking up english language easier than polish, dispite polish only being used at home, hence our feeling that his speech is not developing as expected'

UMMMMMM????????????????? what do i do with this feedback? I think it quite clearly says that i am doing my job properly as he is picking up english and i dont speak polish so what more can i do, he is with me 8am-5pm 5 days a week!

JCrakers
03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Um.... If they want their child to speak polish better then they need to do it at home. How do they expect you to teach him polish?

Sounds like you are doing a good job with the English. If they wanted himto speak only polish then they should have got a polish childminder.
I would question them when they pick up later so they understand that they are asking you to do the impossible.
Could it be a bit of a misunderstanding maybe ?

Actually I've re-read it and think they are more concerned with his polish at home, not a problem with you...maybe you need to reassure them that because he is bilingual the polish and English will develop in time :thumbsup:

cara1235
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Yes thats what i was thinking of telling them that because he is learning 2 languages he will perhaps take a little longer to develop both
thanks for your reply xx

sarah707
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
JCrackers is right - what do they expect in a 2 year old!?!

His language is developing well... you just need to make sure you are offering dual language resources and you know some key words in Polish in case he wants to use that language when he is with you.

Hth :D