PDA

View Full Version : why is my salt dough soggy :(

mrs robbie williams
29-11-2012, 06:56 PM
did handprints in salt dough yesterday but its still soggy, feels like its melting :( does it need to go in a cold place to get hard like the garden? suggestions welcome xx

FussyElmo
29-11-2012, 07:01 PM
How long did you bake it for?

I find leaving them in the oven when you have switched it of helps and also using a pizza tray help them to harden up.

mrs robbie williams
29-11-2012, 07:09 PM
no one told me to bake it !!!!!!!!!! i thought it just went hard :panic:;);)

FussyElmo
29-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I have always baked mine couple hours at 100 degrees.

jumping j
29-11-2012, 07:13 PM
you can bake it on a low heat, about 100-120, for 3 hours or leave it to air dry for 2-3 days.
I've baked mine before but it rose, even though it's plain flour, and distorted the shapes, also the dough went a browny colour and wouldn't paint over, so now I just air dry it for about a week

mrs robbie williams
29-11-2012, 07:14 PM
that could be why then :cool: will bake them tomoro :laughing::laughing: but as they are handprints and i wanted them to be tealight holders how will i fold the fingers up iyswim ??

Christi
29-11-2012, 09:16 PM
You can bake them in the microwave too!

k1rstie
29-11-2012, 09:26 PM
that could be why then :cool: will bake them tomoro :laughing::laughing: but as they are handprints and i wanted them to be tealight holders how will i fold the fingers up iyswim ??

you could bake them draped over a egg cup like shape, and then the fingers would hang down.

I do the dough handprint santa's/ Mine rose in the oven too - even in the oven i find they still take ages

Candy apple
30-11-2012, 06:40 AM
i put mine in the oven at 100c for about 4 hours, they come out really good. :) somebody said about them on here, we made santa faces.

gegele
30-11-2012, 07:59 AM
I know exactly your problem I did some hedge hog a few years back who nearly walked out by themselves:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think you need to make sure you put all the salt in the dough as I'm sure I reduced it and to dry them out I would put them somewhere quite hot like over a radiator or really near to.

I'm doing handprint next week and I don't want to bake them as they bubbled last time so hopefully it'll work :-)

mrs robbie williams
30-11-2012, 10:32 AM
baked them and they rose :panic: smelt nice when they were cooking though :laughing: one is ok but the other is going to have to be done again and not be baked for so long :blush:

Dragonfly
30-11-2012, 09:53 PM
You could put each one in a rounded bottom bowl in the oven they will come out as a hand bowl and the low low heat won't damage a china bowl.:) i done leaf bowls this way with air drying clay.