PDA

View Full Version : Help! turkey- slowcooker or oven

mushpea
27-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I have never cooked a turky before :blush:, but have orded one for christmas, i understand they can be dry if not cooked right so wonded wether to put it in the slowcooker as my joints tend to come out moist when cooked in there but I dont want to ruin the turkey cause we will have no christmas lunch:eek:
how do you all cook your turkeys?

Toothfairy
27-11-2012, 11:13 AM
I've never cooked a turkey in a slow cooker before, I always do mine in the oven.
I cook mine Christmas Eve night, on a very low heat. I put it on when I go to bed at about midnight and get up to turn it off about 6ish.
It's the way my nan and my mum did it, so I just followed tradition. :D

Daisy De
27-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I have been invited out to Christmas Dinner so no turkey cooking here :excited: :cheerleader:

Mind you with my cooking skills I imagine my family are quite pleased I'm not cooking either :blush:

Ripeberry
27-11-2012, 12:42 PM
A turkey will be far too big for a slowcooker. Best thing to get is a turkey sized oven baster. Those metal oval boxes. You can get good results from that. If your turkey is enormous then a good old tin foil 'tent' will be your best option and just baste it every now and again. :thumbsup:

cathtee
27-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I agree with Ripeberry, in a big roasting tin (i usually line it with foil) put turkey in and and inch or so of water, cover with foil and seal
edges the water creates steam thus making a juicier meat. :thumbsup:
cook it on a not too hot oven (170ish) for a longer time
Thats how i cook all my meat and it usually comes out moist, I'm cooking for 10 and doing beef aswell:thumbsup:

blue bear
27-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I just get a breast and put it in the slow cooker, dh really doesn't like dry turkey but loves it from the slow cooker.

k1rstie
27-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I just get a breast and put it in the slow cooker, dh really doesn't like dry turkey but loves it from the slow cooker.

never cooked anything but stews in the slow cooker. How do you do a joint?

mushpea
29-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I just put my joints in the slowcooker with nothing but a few herbs or prehaps some onion and they cook in their own juices, I never put water in like some people do as there is lots of water come out of them anyway , if you do a chicken when you lift it out be careful as it just falls apart because its so beautifuly cooked, obvoiusly they dont brown much and pork woudlnt have crackling. I put it on about 8am and cook it unitll about 5pm.
as for the turky it came yesterday and theres no way its going in a slowcooker lol

bunyip
29-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Mrs Bunyip asked what I wanted for Xmas.

Bunyip: "I want to go out to a restaurant for Xmas dinner."

Mrs Bunyip, "But you don't like roast dinners and anyway it would cost £100's to take the whole family out to a restaurant on Xmas Day."

Bunyip, "You're not listening to me. I said I want to go out to a restaurant for Xmas dinner. Who mentioned anyone else?"

:)