PDA

View Full Version : Regulatory visit from Ofsted

jadavi
20-11-2012, 04:41 AM
At last my dreaded visit is over, went well (thanks to Sarah's invaluable support!) and has not affected anything in my provision or rating.
What I 'did wrong' was not to report to my DO some sensitive information regarding the parent of a mindee who was applying to be my assistant. in my discussion with the children's centre on this case I had understood her to say 'if you need support ring them up.' I was quite clear about the facts in my mind and did not need support. Apparently the subtext of what she was saying was 'cover your back and let the early years team know' which went over my head!
She then reported me to lado for with holding this info !!!!
The lady needed to see my policies and be clear in her mind that I was being professional.
Luckily everything was nicely in place and she understood why I had not let the team know. She said I was too experienced to need that kind of support but advised in the future to cover my back and not carry these things alone.
I had no idea I was doing that !! and wished the original child centre coordinator had been clearer but hey ho. All ok this time.
I am annoyed she reported me instead of coming back to me and asking me why I hadn't informed the team. Tbh I am rather confused about what each team does anyway (and always have a different DO each time so I don't feel I have an ongoing supportive relationship with any of them.) I think I do need support now dealing with this - so will request a visit. This has spoiled a big birthday weekend when I could not relax knowing I had an inquisition on Monday.
The real support came from this forum of course.
We are incredibly lucky to have Sarah with us to help bail us out at times of need. Thank you for your unflagging professionalism and support, Sarah
JA xx

blue bear
20-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Well done Jadavi, I'm really pleased it went well, have been thinking of you. I don't understand these so called other proffesionqls why wouldn't she just tell you what she was thinking, surely that would be more in the interst of e children than reporting you, putting you through all that stress for noting which obviously is going to affect the chikdren albeit in an indirect way, silly woman, it's her that wants reporting.

jadavi
20-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Thank you blue bear I agree.
I now see I am confused about chain of command, am not clear how children's centre fits into Childminding matters and who exactly my LADO is. I intend to have meetings to sort it out!

miffy
20-11-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm glad it's sorted for you but what a shame it spoiled your birthday celebrations :(

It sounds like the children's centre worker reported you to cover her own back as much as anything but I agree with bluebear why on earth couldn't she just have spoken to you again.

Miffy xx

funemnx
20-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Glad to hear all went well, I would be interested to hear how children's centres are connected to our work too!

I have had experience where a report has been made to Ofsted rather than just talk to me to check I'd made a phone call (which I had) and you have to ask yourself Why? :rolleyes:

sarah707
20-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I am so pleased that the outcome was as you had hoped... and happy I was able to help.

Thank you for my flowers I am overwhelmed :jump for joy: xx