PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox

sezzle
18-11-2012, 11:29 AM
So my son (3) has got chicken pox :-(
His spots came out yesterday.
Do I have to close or can I notify parents and let them decide?

Chimps Childminding
18-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I think a lot of it will depend on whether your son is "poorly" with the chickenpox and needs you or whether he just has spots and is ok in himself?

The other thing with giving parents the choice of whether send their children is what then happens if any of the children gets chickenpox, will parents then expect you to have the child/children and what happens to parents who do not want their children in contact with it?

Having said that if the mindees have been in contact with your DS prior to the spots appearing then they may well go down with it anyway!

cathtee
18-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi I usually ask if anyone wants their child to come into contact with it, if they don't then I don't allow child to come, I know it's your lo
so you could still ask the question, and those who want to come can and those who don't can keep them off. If you feel your lo is too
poorly then close and cross the other bridge when it comes, I tried for years to get my own 2 to get it without success, then one day
they got it together, i stayed open as parents wanted their lo's to get it while young. I have at the moment 2 parents with 4 children
between them wanting it so I think if it happens here then they will be spotty together:clapping:

moggy
18-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I would never willingly expose a child, mine or minded, to chicken pox. It is usually mild and passes without much issue but it CAN cause serious complications such as encephalitis in rare cases.
It is hard to swallow but I would close until spots crusted over. Yes, they may have caught it already but you can't change that now. I could not have it on my conscience knowing I had exposed a child to chicken pox who then went on to need hospital treatment or who then infected a pregnant woman etc.

Pipsqueak
18-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I would never willingly expose a child, mine or minded, to chicken pox. It is usually mild and passes without much issue but it CAN cause serious complications such as encephalitis in rare cases.
It is hard to swallow but I would close until spots crusted over. Yes, they may have caught it already but you can't change that now. I could not have it on my conscience knowing I had exposed a child to chicken pox who then went on to need hospital treatment or who then infected a pregnant woman etc.

well said and VERY much agreed.

Twinkles
18-11-2012, 10:06 PM

I agree my son was hospitalised and very poorly due to a reaction to chicken pox.

PixiePetal
19-11-2012, 12:00 AM

well said. I haven't had it ever and don't fancy it now. I just hope my immune system is good and it stays away :rolleyes:

nipper
19-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I totally agree with all the other posters...deliberately exposing a child to an illness so they can get it 'over and done with' so it fits in with the parents agenda. Some irresponsible parents even go to chicken pox parties, I've heard, in the hope their own children will get it. Tantamount to them crossing a busy road on their own in my book!

The other little ones have probably already picked it up if they have been with your little boy, as chicken pox is contagious up until the spots start to appear, by which time it's too late.