PDA

View Full Version : Should I become a childminder? ADVICE PLEASE

Carlywoo87
14-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi there wondering if any of you could give me some information on being a childminder. I am partially qualified in early years (to cut a long story short i attended college was told i was fully qualified but didn't achieve my btec diploma but years later finally got a reply to confirm i am only partially qualified).

Anyway, I am currently doing an online course to become a teaching assistant and working as a cleaner 12 hours a week (on my own) finding it very boring. A friend of mine has asked if i would look after her little boy for her (she said she doesn't mind if i'm regisitered or not) but i don't want to get in any trouble. But I need to consider a few things.

Obviously doing this course means I could only do 4 days (if i can do a placement in a school for 1 day a week). also money wise am i going to be worse off after tax, insurance etc. I already have a little boy who is 2.5 years so I understand i could only care for one more (besides mine and my friends) under 5.

Kiddleywinks
14-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Best advice I can give is to do some research in your local area
How many registered cm's?
How full are they?
What's the going rate?
Is there a demand for more minders?
Are there any after school clubs, if so how many? If not many could you do before and after school?

Whilst it's great that you have 1 parent willing to use you, if that 1 person isn't using you full time every day, or decides after a couple of weeks/months to use an alternative, how sustainable is your business going to be?
How will you cope financially if, like many of us before you, you don't get any other mindees for several months?

The maximum is 6 under 8's, with 3 of those under 5, and one of them 3 can be under 1, so your own 2.5yr old would take up one of the 3 spaces, which would allow you to have 2 more under 5

It can take a while to become registered, I started my research in the Jan, managed to get on a course that started in April, and finally got registered in the December, so almost a year from making the decision. Good job it was something I really wanted to do eh lol, it then took me almost 7 months to get my first mindee...!

Contact your local Families Information Service (FIS) through your local council, and ask to speak to someone in the early years department as they can guide you through their requirements and advise of the relevant training etc.

Good luck

JCrakers
14-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Welcome :D

It can take a while to become registered and checked etc. So if your friend is willing to wait then that would work out well.

You are quite lucky because you already have someone who wants to use you if they can wait until you are registered :D You will be able to have 1 more under 5 with the two you already have but as long as space allows.
If you don't have the space then it could be a lower ratio.

My advice would be, if you are going to be working with a friend and need to rely on the wage your job brings then you need to be business minded about fees and contracts with the friend.
Also you may be able to work just the four days giving you the free day to train.