PDA

View Full Version : lay out of learning journals

Helen79
13-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Under the old EYFS I had 6 sections in my LJ for each section of the EYFS and put obs under the appropriate section.
How does everyone set out their LJs for the new EYFS?

loocyloo
13-11-2012, 08:32 PM
i use scrapbooks & i stick in a photo or written note, date it and then put a sticker underneath that lists ALL the areas and sections of the development matters and i highlight/tick which are covered by a particular activity. i find this easier as most activities cover a multitude of areas.

each term i then do a summative assessment to see where a child is and how they are progressing.

jo.jo76
13-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Under the old EYFS I had 6 sections in my LJ for each section of the EYFS and put obs under the appropriate section.
How does everyone set out their LJs for the new EYFS?

On a recent training I was told we should not be segregating into areas of learning, it should all be in date order with links to the areas written alongside obs or photos, etc

moggy
13-11-2012, 09:14 PM
On a recent training I was told we should not be segregating into areas of learning, it should all be in date order with links to the areas written alongside obs or photos, etc

There is no right or wrong, or should or shouldn't- it is not defined in the EYFS, it is not actually specified at all that we need to do LJs at all... although it is seen as best practice and a sensible way to collect obs and review and share progress.

LJ can be done in anyway that suits you and records the progress of the child. If you want to use the 7 areas of learning you can and then date each obs, if you want to do it chronologically that is fine and you may want to label each with the areas of learning. Every one needs to find what works for them and their families/children (the LJ is for them as much as for you). The down side of sorting them by area of learning is that one obs may equally fall into 2, 3 or more areas so you have to either repeat the obs in each area section or just limit yourself to one area per obs, but if you have a way to work with that then that is fine.

Training course providers may give their suggestions but unless they are delivering your local authority 'rules' (if there are any being imposed by your Local Auth?) then I would see any advise they give us on training courses as advise only, their opinion, and any good tutor should be open to alternatives.

miffy
13-11-2012, 09:17 PM
i use scrapbooks & i stick in a photo or written note, date it and then put a sticker underneath that lists ALL the areas and sections of the development matters and i highlight/tick which are covered by a particular activity. i find this easier as most activities cover a multitude of areas.

each term i then do a summative assessment to see where a child is and how they are progressing.

I do much the same as loocyloo - everything in date order.

I'd just confuse myself too much if I separated it into development areas. I also think it's much easier to show progression if it's in date order.

But, as already been said, there is no right or wrong way - it's about getting a system that works for you.

Miffy xx

jo.jo76
13-11-2012, 09:41 PM
There is no right or wrong, or should or shouldn't- it is not defined in the EYFS, it is not actually specified at all that we need to do LJs at all... although it is seen as best practice and a sensible way to collect obs and review and share progress.

LJ can be done in anyway that suits you and records the progress of the child. If you want to use the 7 areas of learning you can and then date each obs, if you want to do it chronologically that is fine and you may want to label each with the areas of learning. Every one needs to find what works for them and their families/children (the LJ is for them as much as for you). The down side of sorting them by area of learning is that one obs may equally fall into 2, 3 or more areas so you have to either repeat the obs in each area section or just limit yourself to one area per obs, but if you have a way to work with that then that is fine.

Training course providers may give their suggestions but unless they are delivering your local authority 'rules' (if there are any being imposed by your Local Auth?) then I would see any advise they give us on training courses as advise only, their opinion, and any good tutor should be open to alternatives.

The training was a local authority network meeting. Yes I agree, should be a matter of choice. When I did learning journeys at school we were told to do them by area of learning which I didn't like, as you say most obs are not specific to one area. Since childminding I've done mine in date order as it made most sense to me.

mrs robbie williams
14-11-2012, 06:40 AM
i do mine in date order - but never know if im doing it right starting from the beginning or whether i should have the beginning at the back and follow from there? iyswim???? anyway, i use a big a4 lever arch folder and print the photo's stick them on coloured paper and write what lo was doing and link it if necessary, then pop it in plastic pocket and file it, obs also go in there as does my planning, 2yr check, progress reports, all in date order - lo was looking through hers yesterday and said her name and got so excited bless her, she wanted to take it home to show mummy, so hopefully will get that back soon xx

hectors house
14-11-2012, 08:49 AM
i do mine in date order - but never know if im doing it right starting from the beginning or whether i should have the beginning at the back and follow from there? iyswim???? anyway, i use a big a4 lever arch folder and print the photo's stick them on coloured paper and write what lo was doing and link it if necessary, then pop it in plastic pocket and file it, obs also go in there as does my planning, 2yr check, progress reports, all in date order - lo was looking through hers yesterday and said her name and got so excited bless her, she wanted to take it home to show mummy, so hopefully will get that back soon xx

I have always filed in date order oldest in front with the All about me sheet, then most recent at the back - I think it would make more sense to have it other way round and have recent on front - but it seems to go against all the rules of filing, can someone convince me otherwise, especially as I have A4 hard back ring binders with 3 learning journals in each one - which I then have to take out and put in project folders for parents to take them home to look at (they don't have the ring binder bit just a spike that you unfold and put paper across one sheet at a time)! I haven't got enough storage space for a ring binder for each child and the project folders fit better in child's bag to take home occasionally.

toddlers896
10-12-2012, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=loocyloo;1180131]i use scrapbooks & i stick in a photo or written note, date it and then put a sticker underneath that lists ALL the areas and sections of the development matters and i highlight/tick which are covered by a particular activity. i find this easier as most activities cover a multitude of areas.

each term i then do a summative assessment to see where a child is and how they are progressing.[/QUO

i like the way you do your obs either photo or written note but where do you write your next steps loocyloo x

JCrakers
10-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I've always done mine in date order. This way I can see progress better than if it's in sections

loocyloo
11-12-2012, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=loocyloo;1180131]i use scrapbooks & i stick in a photo or written note, date it and then put a sticker underneath that lists ALL the areas and sections of the development matters and i highlight/tick which are covered by a particular activity. i find this easier as most activities cover a multitude of areas.

each term i then do a summative assessment to see where a child is and how they are progressing.[/QUO

i like the way you do your obs either photo or written note but where do you write your next steps loocyloo x

my stickers have all the areas/sections on, and then the words 'next steps' and i scribble a couple of words on the sticker!

currently i have all the photos/written obs stuck in my LJ, and the stickers, and then even obs showing the next steps, but i have actually highlighted or written anything for the past month! that is my job for this afternoon !!!! hope LOs have a good sleep! :D

jadavi
18-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Ho. Where do you get your stickers from?
Cheers

VeggieSausage
18-12-2012, 09:58 AM
I do mine in date order, my assessor when I did my level 3 told me that Ofsted will be looking for observations that span a couple of areas and cross over to show we are interlinking the areas and not taking one on its own, so I think it would be hard to do this if each area is segregated...

loocyloo
18-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Ho. Where do you get your stickers from?
Cheers

i bought the sticker sheets from rymans and printed my own.

although actually, my current printer won't/can't print the stickers ( i can't get the dimensions right and gave up! ) i just print out sheets of A4 with the areas on and cut them up & stick them in with glue!

Ripeberry
18-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I use my local authority EYFS 'Observation Record and Planning sheet from South Gloucestershire. It has room for a big photo on the left or several small photos showing the same activity and then underneath there is space to write 'What did the child do/say?
On the right hand side 'Links to EYFS (Assessment), then next steps (Planning), How did you support the child's learning and a space at the bottom for parents/carers to feedback

You can download the forms from www.southglos.gov.uk. Go into 'Childminding Support' and then the ref code is: B300-1-209-12

I do all my obs in date order and this way everything is kept neatly on one page at a time :)