PDA

View Full Version : CHILDHOOD SWEETS

It's a small world
11-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi

Im after some ideas please. Making a sweet hamper for ds's (5 and 9) for Xmas but trying to do sweets from my childhood and novelty sweets but getting stuck on retro sweets that have the wow factor.

So far I have:
Wonka bars (inc golden ticket)
Wonka -Everlasting gobstoppers - one packet is chewy for younger child
Beer bottle sweets - I used to love these but think they had an acquired taste
Golden Nuggets -bubble gum (for the oldest- big treat , come in little nugget bags)
Fish and chips - white choc
Paint lollies - several colours each one turns your tongue the colour of the lolly
Flying saucers
Jellie beans
Popping candy

Please note that my children d not normally have sweets so these will last several months - Do you think this is enough or can you think of others? Oh and they are only small quantities for each so will not be bouncing around the room and they will be limited to how much they have each night/week - Don't want you to think I feed my children rubbish this is a purely a special treat .xx

justgoodfriends
11-11-2012, 02:06 PM
sherbert fountains
cola cubes
pear drops
sherbet lemons
rhubarb & custard chews
black jacks
curly wurly

There are loads of online retro sweet companies - you may get some ideas from their hampers?
Retro Sweet Hampers: Wouldn't You Just Love To Receive One Of These? (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/retro_sweet_hampers.php)

Hi

Im after some ideas please. Making a sweet hamper for ds's (5 and 9) for Xmas but trying to do sweets from my childhood and novelty sweets but getting stuck on retro sweets that have the wow factor.

So far I have:
Wonka bars (inc golden ticket)
Wonka -Everlasting gobstoppers - one packet is chewy for younger child
Beer bottle sweets - I used to love these but think they had an acquired taste
Golden Nuggets -bubble gum (for the oldest- big treat , come in little nugget bags)
Fish and chips - white choc
Paint lollies - several colours each one turns your tongue the colour of the lolly
Flying saucers
Jellie beans
Popping candy

Please note that my children d not normally have sweets so these will last several months - Do you think this is enough or can you think of others? Oh and they are only small quantities for each so will not be bouncing around the room and they will be limited to how much they have each night/week - Don't want you to think I feed my children rubbish this is a purely a special treat .xx

sarah707
11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
We have this shop in town - Knutsford Cheshire | Virtual Knutsford for all you need to know about Knutsford (http://www.virtual-knutsford.co.uk/frameset.php?main=/business_categories/services_CAT_confectionery.htm)

Do you have one close to you?

I love cola bottles and pear drops :D

It's a small world
11-11-2012, 02:55 PM
We have this shop in town - Knutsford Cheshire | Virtual Knutsford for all you need to know about Knutsford (http://www.virtual-knutsford.co.uk/frameset.php?main=/business_categories/services_CAT_confectionery.htm)

Do you have one close to you?

I love cola bottles and pear drops :D

Not that I know of , but I don't know the area that well. Will search on line- that shop looks fab though x

Toothfairy
11-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Black Jacks
Cough Candy
Curly wurly
Wagon wheel
A finger of fudge
Flying saucers
Pear drops
Aniseed balls
Rhubarb and custard

QualityCare
11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Don't know where you are based but there is a Hardy's original sweet shop near me have just been on their web site and they have several shops.

blue bear
11-11-2012, 05:39 PM
My favourite sweet as a child was sasparella tablets, we could only get them where granny lived so only once a year or so.

justgoodfriends
11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Tesco now sell Pear Drops / Sherbet Lemon / Fruit Salad flavour yogurts - obviously capitalising on the nations love of retro sweets!

hectors house
11-11-2012, 06:58 PM
We used to take Parma violet sweets to local swimming pool - rules were slack back in the dark ages, we would take them into the pool, let them float and swim along and swallow them with a mouthful of chlorine - parma violets taste terrible anyway so the chlorine didn't spoil the taste!

Don't know why we didn't use love hearts or refreshers - they would have floated too!

winstonian
11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Wham bars. My dh still loves these :)

zillervalley
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi

Merry maids

aztec

:)

k1rstie
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
forget the kids! just make the hamper for yourself!!!!:jump for joy:

silvermist
12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
What about sugar mice and popping candy? x

Dragonfly
12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Spangles, liquorce wheels,coconut mushrooms.milk bottles.

sarah707
12-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I am surprised any of us have any teeth left! :laughing::laughing:

Daisy1956
12-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I had to laugh reading this, my wonderful sister bought me a hamper for my birthday last year full of all the sweets we had as children. it was wonderful a lovely present brought back wonderful memories of going to the little local shop with our sixpence given by Granny. The hamper lasted me for months. Absolute indulgence.

PixiePetal
13-11-2012, 12:51 AM
sherbet pips, sherbet dip dabs, pineapple chunks, traffic light lollies, sweet tobacco - think it's still about but called something else! likewise sweet cigarettes - now candy sticks but without the red end :laughing: shrimps and those banana things made of similar sweet stuff :) strawberry laces...............ooh I could go on and on! :blush:

little chickee
13-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Spangles, liquorce wheels,coconut mushrooms.milk bottles.

Can you still get Spangles - used to love those!