PDA

View Full Version : TAX CREDITS ADVICE PLEASE

silvermist
07-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Heya, Ive just had an enquiry for a 3 yr old, 3 days a week, 6 hours a day. Super! Parent has asked about tax credits helping her with fees etc. This is all new to me. I was under the impression that tax credits paid their bit direct to childminder, is that right? Can anyone tell me how this works and what I need to do please. She is coming to see me on friday with the hope of an immediate start so want to have all the info ready for her. Thanks in advance xx

JCrakers
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
From what I understand tax credits is all on the parents side...

Unless she is thinking about NEF/FEEE for her over 3?

silvermist
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
I told her Im not accreditted so cant offer free places and its not employers scheme, she wants to use tax credits help with childcare. If its all down to parents Ill email her and tell her to look online. I know some people just want cms EY number which worried me slightly. Thanks hun xx

JCrakers
07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Yes, don't give her your number until the contract is signed :D

Chatterbox Childcare
07-11-2012, 01:45 PM
It is the parents responsibility to inform/change details with tax credits but all new applications are checked with the childminder by phone first

silvermist
07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
It is the parents responsibility to inform/change details with tax credits but all new applications are checked with the childminder by phone first

So tax credits should ring me to check parent is using me yeah? x

dette
07-11-2012, 02:14 PM
bit of advice..so far this year ive had 3 sets of parents asking for copys of contracts and copy of invoice for the year !! obviously this takes time and ink .so i recomend informing parents that this is now standard for tax credits but you will charge an admin fee if you have to provide copies so tell them to keep their paperwork or pay the fee !!!!

carol cameron
07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Tax credits don't always phone the childminder when a new child starts but I think it's a very good idea to inform parents that they do !
They do spot checks and can phone/write to childminders requesting information about a claim though. I've had quite a few including one for a child who had left 18 months earlier !!!!!!:rolleyes:

Childminders don't know how much the parent is claiming for and it's not unknown for parents to claim more and for longer than they should. It really spoils the system for honest parents.
I tell all my parents that my contract is with them and not tax credits. That makes the parent responsible for payment and as tax credits will pay the parent up to 70% of the childcare cost, the parent will always have to find the rest anyway.

I have heard too many stories about childminders losing out on payments and tax credits being blamed so am very clear about it from the outset and would advise anyone to do the same.

Mouse
07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Parents make the claim for tax credits (they will need your Ofsted number to do that) and payments are made straight to them. It is then up to parents to pay you. Make it very clear to mum that your contract is with her, not tax credits. There will be a delay between her making a claim & getting her money through, so make sure she understands that she'll have to pay you herself. You find some parents expect you to wait until their claim is processed before they pay you. It can take weeks and I've seen many cms fall into the trap of waiting. When the money does eventually come through some parents can be reluctant to hand over the money (they see a nice lump sum in their bank account and decide they'd rather have it than pay it to you), or they are paid less than they expected and don't have enough to cover the amount they owe.

rickysmiths
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM

How long has this happen for Debbie? I had a parent who started in June and proudly told me she used hers for buying the food for the week :rolleyes: I have never had a call from Tax Credits about her.

dette
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
How long has this happen for Debbie? I had a parent who started in June and proudly told me she used hers for buying the food for the week :rolleyes: I have never had a call from Tax Credits about her.

i have a parent who gets tax credits.he pays my bill every month with his sallary and uses his tax credits every week to live off..i dont care which pot my money comes from as long as i get it

silvermist
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Brilliant , thanks for all the tips xx