PDA

View Full Version : Had a call from Environmental Health today

TraceyC
06-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I am a newly registered childminder since September and registered with my local council West Oxfordshire as a food business. They have now contacted me and are coming round to inspect and do a food hygiene and safety inspection. Anyone had any experience of this? What might I expect and what preparation must I do.? spent this afternoon attempting to clean the oven!!

sarah707
06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
You need to read Safer Food Better Business for Childminders - that states the requirements for childminders and food hygiene.

You might be told to do a course as well - it depends on your local authority.

I am sure it will be fine! :D

TNT
06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I recently had my inspection (finally caught up with their paperwork even though I have been minding for nearly 2 years now) and it was fine.
She checked my fridge and freezer to make sure that food is stored and dated properly.
She asked me lots of questions about how I store, cook and clean (all the answers are in the Safer Food, Better business for childminders pack) and checked that I was documenting any issues that arise (again in the Safer Food, Better business for childminders pack).
Make sure that you have a fridge thermometer and that you have antibacterial spray or wipes.

I was madly cleaning for a while before she came and I was so relieved when it was over but it really was fine.
Hope it goes well.

k1rstie
07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
I come from a Food Hygiene / retail background, and the quality of the Safer Food, Better business for childminders pack is very good, and is very clear. I think an hour or two completing this pack would be well worth it.

good luck

kirstie

Jexer72
07-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I just had mine this week. I'm with Somerset District Council. It was very straight forward and managed to get a 5 star rating which I'm very pleased about. The things that went in my favour were the following:

Paper towels for hand cleaning.
Anti-bac "non perfume" hand wash
Milton anti-bac spray for kitchen surfaces
Separate half sink for hand washing (they preferred this to hand washing in the cloakroom)
Having a dishwasher
Thermometer in the fridge
Food probe
Filling in the Safer Food Better Business Pack
Having a food diary for the mindees and keeping all food receipts
Knowing the exclusion time for v&d and other contagious diseases.
Door locks on the chemical cupboards
Replace cleaning cloth/sponges, etc daily or weekly

Good luck - it's very straight forward. Clean your fridge but don't bother with the oven and all your cupboards! :)

TraceyC
07-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you for all your replies - very helpful. Now have lots to do!