PDA

View Full Version : continuous water play

lilac_dragon
06-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone, any advice please on "continuous provision " re water play.
How do you manage it on a daily basis?
I must be honest and say that as far as indoors is concerned - I don't!
Free flow play for it to be continually available outside isn't practical at mine, as the little ones are young enough for me to need to be there with them, and that's not always feasible as I have a baby at the mo needing to be kept warm and dry and if he's asleep I need to be near the monitor.

Velleity
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Water-Play at mine is not a continuous provision.
I do however do something with water several times a week :)

Pipsqueak
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I turn the tap on in the bathroom and let them look at it!!

loocyloo
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
continous water play is outside only at my house!

Chimps Childminding
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Continuous water play - hand washing :laughing: Only happens here outside and when its warm enough :blush:

BucksCM
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone, any advice please on "continuous provision " re water play.
How do you manage it on a daily basis?
I must be honest and say that as far as indoors is concerned - I don't!
Free flow play for it to be continually available outside isn't practical at mine, as the little ones are young enough for me to need to be there with them, and that's not always feasible as I have a baby at the mo needing to be kept warm and dry and if he's asleep I need to be near the monitor.

Not sure why you would have to have " "continuous provision " re water play." ?
I don't...full stop!
There's not room inside and with a lo I'm not doing it outside just to fulfill a requirement if my lo is not going to get anything from it apart from freeze because I've dragged her outside!
End of.

zippy
06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Definetly not every day here, hey we gotta look after the environment to lol, you could always make some coloured water discovery bottles maybe even some with some floating and sinking objects in. Nobody said they had to be able to touch it lol. :thumbsup:

Maza
06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Continuous play doesn't have to mean 'everyday'. We can't have everything on offer all of the time and no one would expect you to. It could come under a blanket term of 'sensory play'. You could freeze some ice cubes and watch them melt over the course of the day or have real water in the teapots for the children to pour drinks for the dollies - smaller volume of water means less mess! x

sarah707
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I offer regular access to a messy tray outside on the patio which might contain water or sand or gloop or small world animals to make a play scene or something with glitter added or rice or lentils...

The messy tray is my continuous provision :D

jo.jo76
06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I have water play available every day as continuous provision in the form of a tray outside which has paint brushes, rollers, water sprays, a bucket, jug and watering cans. I fill up a large bucket of water and they can then use the jug to fill their own watering can or small bucket and can water the garden or pour water down the guttering with the watering cans, paint with water, or use the water sprays to mark make on the pavement and fences.

Pipsqueak
06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
oh I also tend to let them watch the rain roll down the windows or I make them walk out in it.....

a very British Summer and merging Seasons I prefer to call this... rather than continuous water play

karens knippers
06-11-2012, 09:00 PM
my type of person pipsqueak.may follow your practise in my home lol:)

blue bear
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I think you are missing something here, continuous provision for water play means we can legitimately make the children do all the washing up :D

lilac_dragon
06-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks everyone - I love ALL of your replies.
Cheered me up no end after the day finished with some bad news.

jadavi
06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Ihave pondered long and hard over this is as they love it so much... I have had two different water pumps in my sand tray and underneath a big flat tray from a garden centre to catch the spills. and it worked really well. Cover up the flex - surround with towels for spills. Most important have the pump checked over by a qualified engineer... My very first pump was literally lethal!!

jadavi
08-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Sorry that should have read 'engineer'
Does anyone else use water pumps inside to provide continuous water? (it circulates like in a fountain)

jadavi
08-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Jeez! No I mean electrician!!

lynncjt
08-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Ihave pondered long and hard over this is as they love it so much... I have had two different water pumps in my sand tray and underneath a big flat tray from a garden centre to catch the spills. and it worked really well. Cover up the flex - surround with towels for spills. Most important have the pump checked over by a qualified engineer... My very first pump was literally lethal!!

That sounds really good, could you post a photo? Mine love water and I don't let them have it very often inside, sometimes let them bath the dolls in water, on a spread out shower curtain (got that idea from someone here).

dette
08-11-2012, 09:48 AM
i live in the lake district...its always raining so continuous water play is avoiding puddles or jumping in them on school runs :)

hectors house
08-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Would those coloured water beads that florists use (that swell up in the water - the beads not the florists) qualify as water play - they wouldn't be too messy inside, I use a shower curtain to protect the floor?

lilac_dragon
08-11-2012, 06:43 PM
need to look into the water beads idea, sounds good, but mine are all 2 yo, is there an age guide (realise they're not actually a toy) if any did actuallyget swallowed are they poisonous or will the child just swell up and go POP!

funemnx
08-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Mine do the dishes after lunch - does that count? :laughing:

jo.jo76
08-11-2012, 07:21 PM
need to look into the water beads idea, sounds good, but mine are all 2 yo, is there an age guide (realise they're not actually a toy) if any did actuallyget swallowed are they poisonous or will the child just swell up and go POP!

Mine love the water beads, my 2yr olds have played with them and not put them in their mouths. They are non-toxic and they break up like jelly if you squeeze them too hard, but they are risky because of the shape and size. I think as long as you know which ones are likely to try and put them in their mouth, explain they are not to be eaten and supervise them while they play they should be fine.

lilac_dragon
09-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Mine love the water beads, my 2yr olds have played with them and not put them in their mouths. They are non-toxic and they break up like jelly if you squeeze them too hard, but they are risky because of the shape and size. I think as long as you know which ones are likely to try and put them in their mouth, explain they are not to be eaten and supervise them while they play they should be fine.

thanks for the advice!

loocyloo
09-11-2012, 07:54 PM

one of mine loves throwing the water beads !!! they bounce really well :rolleyes: when we have them out i find them for days later in all manner of places !!! they are also REALLY good fun to jump on and squish! preferably both activities outside only !!! :rolleyes:

jo.jo76
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
one of mine loves throwing the water beads !!! they bounce really well :rolleyes: when we have them out i find them for days later in all manner of places !!! they are also REALLY good fun to jump on and squish! preferably both activities outside only !!! :rolleyes:

Haha! Yes mine discovered how well they bounce!