PDA

View Full Version : Should all childminders be members of ICO?

Mandalane
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I am just updating my mobile phone policy and not sure if I should be a member, have my inspection next week so now a bit worried.

Thanks

Mandy

cathtee
03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
If you take photos of the lo's then you need to register with the ICO, there is alot of chat on here about it, some cm's haven't registered
but I have good luck with your inspection:thumbsup:

sarah707
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
The ICO is a government body responsible for internet security / data protection.

It was decided many years ago when the Eyfs first came in that if childminders were going to be taking digital photos of children or storing digital info about children and their families on computers then they would need to register with the ICO.

It costs £35 and is renewable annually. You can put the cost through your expenses.

I have not heard of Ofsted checking - but the Eyfs does say you must meet data protection requirements so registration would be covered by that.

Hth :D

Mandalane
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Many thanks do ou know how I register?

sarah707
04-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO (http://www.ico.gov.uk) - or give them a ring :D

hectors house
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Don't know if it is due to forum questions about registering - but they have a backlog of applications and certificates at the moment. I sent my application on 2 Oct, last weekend got letter from them telling me I haven't sent back the forms and cheque for £35, I checked with the bank and they said cheque not cleared yet - e-mailed ICO and got no reply, rang on Friday to be told it was just being processed, I said why did I get a letter then, they said they go out automatically - so that is obviously what the £35 is for - wasting money on postage when my application was sat on someones desk!

chriss
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
What diference does it make to be registered or not ? I dont understand, or is it just red tape and money making ? As far as I am concerned, its between parents and childminders to trust eachother and have policies/contracts detailing agreements. HATE beaurocracy.....especially as Im nit sure I spelled it correctly ...grrrr
:angry:

bunyip
05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
In answer to the original thread question: no, not all CMs need to be ICO registered, but many or most should. It depends on whether they are classed as "information handlers" under the terms of the Data Protection Act.

The best thing to say is that all CMs should check if it applies to them, and then act accordingly. It's a legal duty for many of us, and as Sarah says, covered by 'new improved' EYFS Statutory Requirements. There's also a hefty fine for non-compliance. :(

This topic seems to come up frequently and provokes strong feelings. It seems to divide CMs into those who see the need to play by the rules/laws (whether or not they like or understand them) and those who feel justified in getting away with breaking those rules/laws if they think they possibly can.

I posted a fuller explanation only last week (post #27, Thread title, "ICO licence - did you register") which received the usual mixed responses.

[Clicks on "Submit Reply" - sits back and waits for another kicking:rolleyes:]

lisbet
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm still pre-reg and my LA have sent out written information saying that if you just take photos, upload them to your computer and then delete them straightawat then that you do not need to register. They seem quite confident about this, but from what I've read on here it sounds to me like they've got the wrong end of the stick somehow? I will get in touch with the ICO to doublecheck once I'm registered, but would welcome your advice in the meantime :)

Rubybubbles
05-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm still pre-reg and my LA have sent out written information saying that if you just take photos, upload them to your computer and then delete them straightawat then that you do not need to register. They seem quite confident about this, but from what I've read on here it sounds to me like they've got the wrong end of the stick somehow? I will get in touch with the ICO to doublecheck once I'm registered, but would welcome your advice in the meantime :)

I have been reg for 2 years now, funny this week I got email from la saying yes you have to lol!!

Rubybubbles
05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
NEWS | Hampshire Childminding Support (http://hantschildminding.wordpress.com/news/)

It's near the bottom :-)

bunyip
05-11-2012, 01:53 PM

TBH I'm not the least surprised that an LA is giving out duff information about data protection. The ICO spends a huge amount of time, money and resources auditing LAs and investigating complaints about them, simply because LAs don't appear to have the first idea what they're doing with other people's personal information. :rolleyes:

jo.jo76
05-11-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm currently completing my Quality Assurance scheme with my LA so I can take funded children. One of the requirements is that I am registered with ICO. I told my mentor I already was and she said "that's good because not many childminders are!"

Together
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
At my Ofsted inspection in September, I was asked if I was registered with the ICO. I showed the register entry printout as I was/am registered.

CMinderMandy
26-11-2012, 04:07 PM
How long did the process take i.e to recieve certificate ?

Thanks

sarah707
26-11-2012, 08:20 PM
How long did the process take i.e to recieve certificate ?

Thanks

Not long - a week or so if I remember.

If you are waiting longer give them a ring they have always been really helpful when I have spoken to them :D

CMinderMandy
27-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Not long - a week or so if I remember.

If you are waiting longer give them a ring they have always been really helpful when I have spoken to them :D

Thankyou

Am annoyed we have to pay this when they want us to produce evidence even though i have policy in place about photos etc :mad: