PDA

View Full Version : xmas activities

dawnn93
02-11-2012, 12:18 AM
i have a mindee that i watch and her parents dont celebrate xmas birthdays etc what can i do with her as i will be doing christmasy things with the others
help

miffy
02-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I think I would discuss with her parents what sort of activities they are happy for her to take part in. They may not celebrate Christmas as a family but be happy for her to take part in activities outside the home.

Miffy xx

sarah707
02-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Like Miffy says it is really important that you speak to parents. They might choose to take their child out when you are covering Christmas activities with the other children.

There are lots of autumn / winter activities you can plan instead! :D

JulieA
02-11-2012, 08:12 AM
For craft things I would stick to a Winter theme - such as snowmen, snowflakes or pine cones painted and covered in glitter. All the children can take part and the others can make them as tree decorations.

Maza
02-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Is she with you full time? If she is could you do Chritmas things on the days she is not there? You do need to speak to her parents about what they consider 'Christmasy'. I taught a child who didn't celebrate religious festivals but parents were happy for her to do Winter things at Christmas and Spring related crafts at Easter. You could cover Winter animals and birds, weather etc. Would they be happy for her to sit alongside the other children whilst they are doing Christmas stuff? Maybe she could still use the same craft stuff but produce a non Christmasy picture/model.

Boris
02-11-2012, 02:51 PM
I agree, chat to the parents about what they are happy with. I had a schoolie who told me off for having Halloween stuff around as they are Christians and don't believe in celebrating Halloween! I told her that it's not about celebrating it, more learning about it and just because it's not what we believe we must respect that some people do! I am not a Hindu but I will be covering Diwali and so will my non-Hindu mindees!