PDA

View Full Version : Child Car Seats

Clever Clogs
20-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone

It's been a while since was last on the forum so hello to everyone. I've been kept busy with childminding in the last month - been a slow start, busy month and now heading to a quiet month - but fingers crossed it'll be getting better.

Anyway, not sure ifthis is the right forum but was wondering if someone could put me in the right direction re car seats. I've read all te legislation and clearly understand that no child under 12 (or the height) can travel without a child restraint unless the few exceptions. However nowhere can I see if there is legislation on where they should sit. For instance - my daughter who is almost 7 always asks if she can travel in thefront - I do let her when the car is full but when just us two she still asks - it would be easier as it saves dismantling booster seats etc but just wanted to check the status on this - does everyone else allow children to travel in the front and if so when - eg when others are in car or alone. Another query I had was if you have 7 seaters - which car seats do you put in the back? At the mo I have a booster and a baby seat - this bit just out of interest.

Looking forward to hearing yor replies.

Thanks
Tracey

SimplyLucy
20-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone

It's been a while since was last on the forum so hello to everyone. I've been kept busy with childminding in the last month - been a slow start, busy month and now heading to a quiet month - but fingers crossed it'll be getting better.

Anyway, not sure ifthis is the right forum but was wondering if someone could put me in the right direction re car seats. I've read all te legislation and clearly understand that no child under 12 (or the height) can travel without a child restraint unless the few exceptions. However nowhere can I see if there is legislation on where they should sit. For instance - my daughter who is almost 7 always asks if she can travel in thefront - I do let her when the car is full but when just us two she still asks - it would be easier as it saves dismantling booster seats etc but just wanted to check the status on this - does everyone else allow children to travel in the front and if so when - eg when others are in car or alone. Another query I had was if you have 7 seaters - which car seats do you put in the back? At the mo I have a booster and a baby seat - this bit just out of interest.

Looking forward to hearing yor replies.

Thanks
Tracey

I have an 8 seater and in the back I have the baby seat (in the middle as it fits in with a lap belt. and 2 booster blocks without backs.

Next row I have 2 boosters with backs on the outside edge and a booster in the middle (try not to use this one as it only has a lap belt, if it has to be used then one of my children sit there.)

In the front i have myself (no booster needed!) and a booster without a back for one of my own children.

Jinx
20-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think there is any set age to be able to sit in the front seat. They just HAVE to use appropriate seat and belt etc.

I have always had a rule in my car that children under 10 are not allowed to sit in the front! The back is ALWAYS safer than the front!
BUT saying that, I do now sometimes have to let my 7yr old sit in the front now as that is the only spare seat! I always push her seat as far back as it will go as the airbag can't be turned off in my car.

I think the most important thing really is that the children are in the right size car seat for their weight and that it is correctly fitted into the car. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

katickles
20-06-2008, 12:51 PM
may be compleatly wrong here - but I always thought you had to be 12????

Jinx
20-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Lots of info here....... http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

:thumbsup:

Jinx x

Blackhorse
20-06-2008, 01:16 PM
as far as I know it is 12 years to. and I think a minimum hight of 150cm

Alibali
20-06-2008, 01:25 PM
The only time you can't use a front seat is with a rearward facing seat and an airbag, otherwise if it the only available seat you should use it with the correct restraint. That said, airbags are designed for adults, and children have been known to suffer quite sever injuries from the airbag, so unless it is the only seat available, back seats should be used. As has been said before if you are using the front seat make sure it is back as far as it can go. The car manufacturers should all provide advise re their particular car and car seat position in their handbook

Ali x

manjay
20-06-2008, 01:49 PM
My daughter is 8 and reaches the required height not to use a booster. She does most of the time as I think the seat belt sits better if she uses one. She also only sits in the front if there are no available seats in the back

jessie1
20-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Thought this might be helpful

Q: At what age can a child ride in the front seat of a car?
A: There is no age limit on a child sitting in the front seat of a car, but they must use an appropriate seat belt.

# For children under three this must be an appropriate child restraint but a rear facing baby seat must not be used where there is an active frontal airbag. Children aged three to 11 and under 135cm in height must wear an appropriate child restraint and cannot travel if no seatbelt is available.

# Children aged 12-13 and younger children over 1.35 metres in height must wear an adult seat belt if available.

# Children aged 14 and over must wear an adult seat belt.

Pipsqueak
20-06-2008, 02:31 PM
It is recommended by various places (Brake, Fire Service etc) that children under the age of 12 ( or equivelent height/weight) do not travel in the front.

Don't forget those in booster seats - seatbelts are designed for adult use.

Be aware of your airbags in the car.
The safest place is in the rear of any vehicle.

tulip0803
20-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I have fibbed to my 10 year old and told her that you have to be over 12 to use the front seat:rolleyes: . She is perfectly happy with that explanation and never asks to sit in the front now.

I would not put any child in the front seat unless I really have to then I would only put the oldest/biggest because of the airbag.

I have the booster seats with the 5 point belt and removable back as they are the most practical depending on which children I will be having. I also have the big baby seat and the 0-9 month type too.

Clever Clogs
20-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll go along the line that they have to be 12 to sit in the front unless that's the only seat available. At least it's been cleared up now.

Thanks
Tracey