PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! wanting to become a childminder, where to start???

earreys
28-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi, my name is Sarah. I am currently a nurse assistant on a busy hospital ward where i have been for over 12 years. With all the (not so good) changes happening within the NHS i have opted for a career change. I would dearly love to become a chilminder, i have researched and given it lots of thought. I am mum to a lively,beautiful 5yr old boy, who is now in full time school, so i feel i am in the perfect position to start a new challenge!
However,,,where do i start?!!! I have emailed the Family Information Service regarding getting started. Would be very grateful for any info/help/advice.

Big Thanks, Sarahx

The Juggler
28-10-2012, 09:09 PM
contact your local authority early years team hon. each LA does it differently. You will probably attend a briefing session, then once you have filled in the paperwork will have to complete the ICP course and do your first aid before ofsted come to register you. It can take anything from 3 months to 1 year, depending on the LA and ofsted and the CRB's.

Good luck.

k1rstie
28-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Sarah, and welcome.

As well as the FIS (family information service). you could look at your local councils website, they normally have a section under the childcare section about childminding.

Have you had a look at childcare.co.uk to see if there are many childminders in your area, or many parents looking for childcare?

Good Luck

kirstie

WibbleWobble
28-10-2012, 09:44 PM
joining us will be the best thing you ever did!

There are a few of us exNHS folk....i am an RGN with 20+ years experience.

The above advice is great also the NCMA (national childminding association) have some info too

try googling them

welcome to the forum and welcome to childminding!

wibble xxxx