PDA

View Full Version : Tax credits limit

bunyip
24-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I have a mum who wants to increase the number of hours she works, but is worried that would reduce/stop her Tax Credits award.

Can anyone tell me if there is a maximum number of hours she can work and still be allowed to claim TC?

I thought you had to work a minimum (of 16?) hours before you could claim, and then could work as many hours as you like. I thought the 'upper limit' was to do with how much money you earned, and not based on hours worked. I could be wrong, as my information may be out of date.

Any advice? :o

caz3007
24-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I think you are right Bunny. Max hours dont come into it, cos its done on wages, you just have to do the minimum hours.

She needs to go on the tax credit calculator and play around and see what she will get if she increases her hours and therefore her salary

bunyip
24-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Mouse
24-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree it's based on the amount earned, not the hours worked (other than the minimum number).

She should use their method for calculating it:

think of a number, double it, subtract half the difference between your birth date and that of Mahatma Gahndi, hold on to your paper work for 3 weeks, pretend it's got lost in the system, treble it, take away the square root of a banana, then pluck a number out of thin air.

Simples ;)

bunyip
24-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I agree it's based on the amount earned, not the hours worked (other than the minimum number).

She should use their method for calculating it:

think of a number, double it, subtract half the difference between your birth date and that of Mahatma Gahndi, hold on to your paper work for 3 weeks, pretend it's got lost in the system, treble it, take away the square root of a banana, then pluck a number out of thin air.

Simples ;)

:laughing::clapping:

Mouse, you've finally explained why they're always c:censored:king mine up.
I share the same birthday as Mahatma Gandhi (give or take 90-odd years.) :D

jillplum
24-10-2012, 12:55 PM
mouse I love the explanation!
there is no upper limit for working hours. When I told the I work 50 hours a week they said it didn't matter as anything over 30 got the extra benefit.