PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really confused and out of my depth now with paperwork

HumphriesCorner
22-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I was registered in August , and in September I had a little girl (7) pre and post school for an hour , then in October a little boy for the same .

In terms of paperwork I had contract , contact form , permission slips for travelling in the car , photos (just incase) and attendance register .

I am due to start a little girl a week on Wednesday who is 2 . I understand I will need all of the above and then the planning and assessment paperwork .

Am I right in thinking I need a learning journey file and a daily diary ?

I feel abit lost now to be honest . I've enroled online for the CYPOP5 course but haven't really got started with it , and there is now a classroom based course come up local to me that I have asked to transfer to as I'm really thinking I dont know what I am doing .

I've completed first aid , safe guarding and had pre reg visit . I have the practical EYFS handbook and homebased childcare book - but I'm just stuggling with what paperwork I need and what format .
Perhaps I am over thinking it all . I have lots of ideas of things and activities to do , but when it comes to breaking it down into themes I am struggling .

I have my own children but this is the first contact with the EYFS really and I've not spoken to anyone just gleaned as much info as I can from on here

If I can transfer to the classroom course will it all make more sense then ? Or am I worrying too much ?
I have no idea how to set up a learning journal :(

VeggieSausage
22-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Are you actually now registered?.....thought you had to complete course prior to being able to begin now?.....(could be wrong)

You need to do a daily diary which the child will bring every day in their bag and you put it in to go home every night. In it you will ouline what you did htat day, what they ate, drank, details of naps and nappies done.

Learning journey is a folder or scrapbook you put together showing their development in all areas of EYFS, stick photos in, artwork, observations etc

Pipsqueak
22-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I was registered in August , and in September I had a little girl (7) pre and post school for an hour , then in October a little boy for the same .

In terms of paperwork I had contract , contact form , permission slips for travelling in the car , photos (just incase) and attendance register .

I am due to start a little girl a week on Wednesday who is 2 . I understand I will need all of the above and then the planning and assessment paperwork .

I feel abit lost now to be honest . I've enroled online for the CYPOP5 course but haven't really got started with it , and there is now a classroom based course come up local to me that I have asked to transfer to as I'm really thinking I dont know what I am doing .

I've completed first aid , safe guarding and had pre reg visit . I have the practical EYFS handbook and homebased childcare book - but I'm just stuggling with what paperwork I need and what format .
Perhaps I am over thinking it all . I have lots of ideas of things and activities to do , but when it comes to breaking it down into themes I am struggling .

I have my own children but this is the first contact with the EYFS really and I've not spoken to anyone just gleaned as much info as I can from on here

If I can transfer to the classroom course will it all make more sense then ? Or am I worrying too much ?

hunny - if you are still pre-reg stage and not had your final checks and clearance from Ofsted (certificate in hand) and insurances in place you shouldn't be childminding. (presuming you are England)
you would have to be doing it for no reward or money and for less than 2hrs a day etc (see ofsted factsheet - registration not required)

If you have that certificate in hand and insurances in place then yes you need permissions for
first aid application, travel, photographs etc

yes you comply with EYFS and do a learning journal

HumphriesCorner
22-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes I am registered I got my registration certificate through in August .
Because I registered prior to September and the new EYFS I still have six months to complete the cypop5 course rather than having to complete prior to registration as under the new guidelines .

Perhaps I am just over thinking it , I'm just confused with the learning journal and how to lay it out - I have looked at the NCMA to buy but not sure that covers everything you need either

Thanks for your replies

Rubybubbles
22-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Welcome :-)

For my daily dairies I put sleep,food,nappies,milk in bullet points and write them then am: and what we have done pm: again!!

Learning journals are all so different I recommend buying Sarah's ebook on them :-) even just to give starting points. Places like Bromley childminders, on here , if you goggle learning journals loads come up that you can get a really good feel!!

Have fun!!

Rubybubbles
22-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh and the ncma learning journal I feel is too I depth for everyday!!! I use 1 for my one day a week child and don't do a folder ( other than artwork, photos). I would not recommend it for a daily dairy style!!

JCrakers
22-10-2012, 05:13 PM
My ljs are a plastic folder from rymans (or wherever) with the 20 or 40 plastic slot sheets inside for putting a4 paper into. :D
But you could use any sort of folder or book.

Name on the front so i know who's folder it is when i get it out the cupboard. 1st page is name, age in months and date started with a picture of child. 2nd page is an all about me form.
Then from week by week or month by month i add photos of the child doing things and link to eyfs. So I have a picture of my mindee at the sand park, she had written a H in the sand for her name. She shouted me over and I took a picture to place in her LJ.
So the picture is in there with Literacy written next to it as that's what area it falls into. Some activities cover more than one area. This picture could also be linked to PD (fine motor skills) PSED because she was so pleased with herself, EAD because she wrote it in the sand with her finger.
Every 4-6 months I do a progress report which is basically two sides of a4 detailing where she's at. So CLL she falls into the 40-60m in understanding and falls into 30-50m for speaking etc. I can see from this by looking at dev matters that if she fell into the 16-26m area there may be a problem to flag up as she is nearly 4yrs.
On this sheet is an area for parents to fill in with what she does at home, enjoys the most and also a box for me to advise what they can be doing at home to help her dev.

It seems a lot but once you get into the swing of it, it doesn't take long. I have 5 LJs to do with another starting after Xmas.
I don,t do any paperwork outside of my 8-6 hours and fit it in when the children are having free play.

Each eyfs child has a daily diary and this is just to tell parents what we've done. So it details activities, groups we've been to, nappies changed and when, food eaten and anything else like if they haven't been themselves or if they've complained of a hurting foot etc.

HTH :D

blue bear
22-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Mine is much like jc's. Do you have any minders you can ask to look at theirs? Or a development worker who can give you some ideas, you will find your own preference in the end but looking at various different ones would give you a starting point.

TooEarlyForGin?
22-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Do what feels good for you. I have recently merged the diaries and LJ's as I have 7 part timers (different days of course) and before and after schoolies it became a pain. I never got the time in the day to do them, so was spending more and more time writing them in the evenings.

I also feel a lot that they do generally in the day fits in with the EYFS without doing separate obs all the time, such as a little one has been telling me she has done a poo, so I have linked this to the appropriate development area it written down so mum and dad know about it. I do put in lots of photos (I type mine up) and do the obs in a highlighted box, then type in any next steps at the end. I then do a termly assessment based on all the things we have done and plan from there.

The parents take home the folder weekly, so it is a proper working document. When I did a separate learning journey I would only get the chance to write it up properly once in term and it would take ages just trying to put all my notes together to make sense.

Anyway, I am waffling, I also use some of the Suffolk learning journey templates which I find helpful, maybe your LA might do one.

ajc
22-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Some really good ideas above, I also think that if your friendly with other CM's that they wouldnt mind at all showing you their learning journeys so that you get an idea of what to do, you'll soon get into it.

HumphriesCorner
26-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all your replies really appreciate them

SammyL
30-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm in exactly the same boat - registered at the same time but have 4 EYFS children & am feeling completely overwhelmed so this thread will help me greatly!
xx

tinkerbelle
31-10-2012, 02:55 PM
ive been registered years and im still struggling mainly due to our DO being useless i called her in july/august /september regarding the new changes and was told to stop phoning and ring back when id managed to get on a course for the eyfs changes (10th october was the first course date) so iv only really been working to the new eyfs since that date as myself and my 2 local minders had no clue as to what had changed or anything im ata total loss as last insepction ofsted comented that the paperwork i was using wasnt right (again DO said it was very good ) is there any learning journals out there or a easier way to get these done because im at the end of my rope with 5 kids working 70+ hours a week and trying to do paperwork i never have time