PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim for a conservatory?

Hobbyhorse38
19-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi, I've been minding for 6 months, but since September its got very busy, and I'm finding that I could do with more space. One solution would be a conservatory, and I was wondering if I could claim for all or part of this? Many thanks

Kiddleywinks
20-10-2012, 09:28 AM
It's a complicated area as a conservatory would add value to your property so would then come into capital gains taxation I believe.

I think however that whilst you are best not claiming for the actual build costs, you are able to claim/part claim for the items you need to complete the room - suitable furniture, additional storage, rug/carpet etc

Mr Anchovy can explain it better lol, but if you're thinking of using your cming to fund it I'd think again :rolleyes:

Edited to add
There's a link to a previous conversation about this here:
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/95430-expense-query-can-go-through-accounts.html

cathtee
20-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for asking that question I'm just waiting foir planning permission for mine and was wondering if you could claim, never mind hubby is paying:laughing:

Hobbyhorse38
20-10-2012, 12:07 PM
It's a complicated area as a conservatory would add value to your property so would then come into capital gains taxation I believe.

I think however that whilst you are best not claiming for the actual build costs, you are able to claim/part claim for the items you need to complete the room - suitable furniture, additional storage, rug/carpet etc

Mr Anchovy can explain it better lol, but if you're thinking of using your cming to fund it I'd think again :rolleyes:

Edited to add
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/95430-expense-query-can-go-through-accounts.html

Hi, Thanks for the info and link. Actually it makes sense, and means I will probably go ahead sooner rather than wait for the next tax year. Cheers Helen

MrAnchovy
22-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Edited to add

Kiddleywinks I think you put it better than in that link anyway! Just a couple of notes - you can only claim for furniture if it is going to be used exclusively for childminding (e.g. toy cupboard). Carpets and other soft furnishings, as well as furniture with a dual use (e.g. dining table that kids do their homework on) is covered by the 10% wear and tear allowance. The only part of building costs you can claim for is any safety equipment e.g. smoke alarm.