PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea?!

elliellie
19-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

I am beginning my childminder training in 2 weeks time & have been approached by a mum who would like me to care for her 2 children. One of the children will be 8 months and the other 2 years. She also wants me to start before I have finished my course and has asked if will act as a nanny & care for the children in her home until I am registered. I have a 9 month old baby of my own too.
I'm just wondering what people think about this...firstly, do you think it is a good idea to nanny first? Are there any legal issues I need to consider? Do I need to complete any paperwork to do this? Take out insurance? What about my tax? Also, I was originally planning to start childminding after my little boy turns 1 as that is roughly when I think I'll be registered too, so I could also take on a baby under one. Is it a good idea to look after an 8 month old and a 10 month old with a 2 year old too? Is that even possible?!
The lady lives very close to me, she only wants 2 days a week which is perfect for me and I could really do with the money at the moment but don't want to take on too much or do anything daft!
Any advice for you more experienced folk would be fantastic!

BuggsieMoo
19-10-2012, 12:45 PM
You wont be able to do it as you will have 2 children under the age of 1 year. When you are registered, you will only be allowed 1 under 1 (standard for everyone) unless they are part of a multiply birth.

mrs robbie williams
19-10-2012, 12:51 PM
you wont be able to childmind with 2 under 1 but im not sure about nannying rules?

JCrakers
19-10-2012, 12:53 PM
You could Nanny for 3m and then when your own child turns one the childminding can start.

I used to be a nanny. When i had my son i worked 3 days a week and took him with me. He was 6m ish and i looked after an 18m and 3 yr old. worked really well.
She will have to register tax and ni for the 3m but probably won't have to pay any tax etc because your earning will probably be under the threshold.Im not sure about insurance, its something I never had but we are talking about 1998. I don't know if you have to be ofsted registered now either.

I don't see why it wouldn't work :D if you feel you can cope with the ages, I don't see a problem.
When your cert comes through make sure your son is over 1 before you childminder from your home.

Also I would expect a higher wage from a nanny role over a childminding one so if you do go for it make sure the pay reflects.

mama2three
19-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I think it sounds like an ideal solution to a short term problem.
By the time you are registered both babies are likely to be over 1 , so no issue there.

You need to be careful about the ''balance of power''.
As a childminder its your business , your rules and your home. If she is acting like your employer whilst you are 'nannying' then you need to sure that you get the balance right once she is simply 'using your service'.

When exactly would she want you to start. If its just a couple of weeks then an alternative may be to start in your home as a childminder - but no charge until your cert comes through.

elliellie
20-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Thank you for your messages, you have made me feel better about it. My little boy turns one on 3rd Feb and it's unlikely I'll be registered much before that anyway so i don't think the ages will be an issue. It was just that I wondered if there were are legal issues I should be aware of and whether I could manage 2 babies whilst acting as a nanny! I guess I'm worrying as they will both need carrying around, but my little one is happy in a sling if i need to do that & I've just bought a travel cot so there will be a safe place to pop them if I need to.
Thanks for on tax & NI, will have a chat about that & also I think you're right to point out the balance of power issue, It's a shame I wont be able to make a more professional start by going through my paperwork etc.
Thanks again!