PDA

View Full Version : which area of L&D please

toddlers896
18-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Can somebody help me please.

My 17month LO picked a ball up, held it in one hand and climbed the stairs of the slide.
Once she got to the top she sat down and then rolled the ball down the slide.

I dont know which area to link this with. Any ideas please
Thankyou x

TooEarlyForGin?
18-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I would say Physical Development - Moving and Handling - although for an older child - looks like your LO is ahead of the game. :)

funemnx
18-10-2012, 07:07 PM
I would say PD too - what a clever little girl! :thumbsup:

toddlers896
18-10-2012, 07:18 PM
i thought it would be pd but not sure what age. I thought 30-50mnths - walks downstairs while carrying an object but in her case walking upstairs. would this be right? thanks ladies x

She is a little cracker, very clever.

sarah707
18-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Don't forget - you will rarely find exact wording in the revised Development Matters guidance.

You are looking for a 'best fit' judgement based on what you saw / heard :D

The Juggler
18-10-2012, 09:14 PM
see now that's what I HATE about the revised EYFS. In the old version that would definately come under investigation (speed, direction) problem solving (where do I go to make the ball roll down) but there is NOTHING for this age group.

Lots of other things missing like time, place, colour recognition, number use all before age 3 and there is nowhere effectively to note it at the level its happening. makes me cross.:panic:

Mrs Scrubbit
18-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Agree,really hate 'best fit' too x

lilac_dragon
19-10-2012, 06:30 AM
The problem with "best fit" is - it's the best fit in my/your opinion, but what about the Ofsted Inspector's opinion?
Headache time!

sarah707
19-10-2012, 07:54 AM
The problem with "best fit" is - it's the best fit in my/your opinion, but what about the Ofsted Inspector's opinion?
Headache time!

Yes I see what you are saying... but you are rarely going to find an inspector who spends that much time reading every word you have written in every LJ over the last 3 / 4 years...

If you read through the DM statements you will get a 'feel' for what goes where and as you practice using them it will get much easier.

For example...

Anything to do with the child's feelings, emotions, being proud of what they have done will go somewhere in PSED - 'best fit' it!

Anything to do with climbing, jumping, carrying etc will be PD - moving - because they are gross motor skills.

You know your child - is your child advanced for their age in physical skills or is s/he about right? Again 'best fit' it.

Hth :D