PDA

View Full Version : any one having .......

sarahlou
15-10-2012, 08:03 PM
a flu jab. Thinking of having mine but dont know if the sore arm and then a cold (just got rid of one) is worth it with all different strains going around.

Chimps Childminding
15-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I had one a couple of weeks ago as I am just starting Chemotherapy treatment - no side effects at all!!! :thumbsup:

clareelizabeth1
16-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I got one last week. Arm didn't hurt. But I do now have a really sore throat and flu like symptoms. Only had it because midwife insisted. Don't think I will again. Although if I could take something to help I would be happier.

Pipsqueak
16-10-2012, 01:58 PM
no I won't have it... I am generally fit and healthy and it only protects the anticipated 'current' strain for this year.

My mum (due to her conditions) has it annually and EVERY year she ends up in hospital 10-14 days after having it.... always....

CH1957
16-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Im having mine next week, also having a pneumonia jab. I had my flu jab last year and the year before but it didnt stop me getting flu, as you say lots of different strains, last year the flu turned into pneumonia and I ended up in hospital on Boxing Day :( Still think its worth having done though.

Tink
16-10-2012, 02:48 PM
No I had it two years ago and never been so ill in my life i was unable to work for 2 weeks:mad: I would never have it again.

WibbleWobble
16-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I have it every year because I have life threatening conditions. I have never been ill afterwards. A couple of years ago i got pneumonia but that was months after the jab. My husband has it cos he is mine and dd2s Carer if we are ill ( which is rare but if we are it's not good)
Wibble x

AliceK
16-10-2012, 09:22 PM
No. I have asthma and have always had the flu jab until I think it was 2 years ago when they started to combine it with the swine flu vaccine and I refuse to have that so I can't have the normal flu jab now. Thinking back on it though all the years I did have it I got ill but now I don't have it, touch wood I've been okay, hmmmmm??????

xxxx

Bananabrain
17-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Had 'real' flu a few years ago and ever since have had the jab. And I'm a childminder:laughing:and surrounded by pesky kids with snotty noses:laughing:And I have mild asthma.
Never had so much as a sniffle since but I think it might be lyca sogical:laughing:

sophia36
17-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I have one every year due to asthma. I don't normally get ill with it. However 24hours after having the jab last wednesday I started to get a sore throat, I had no voicefriday,saturday and sunday and sunday,monday and tuesday i haven't stopped sneezing. Finally starting to feel better today although I can't shift the headache thats been following me since sunday:(

I keep telling myself it's a coincidence rather than admitting it's self inflicted! Although I've felt really lousy I'm still glad I had the jab as flu is a 100 times worse.

VeggieSausage
17-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I was thinking about it, my husband does as he is asthmatic and he's never had a side effect....

eviesmum
17-10-2012, 07:09 PM
My daughter (5) and I have both had one for the last 3 or 4 years as my partner can't have one but we need to be well to look after him. The vaccine can't make you poorly, it's inactive and if you do get ill afterwards, it's just a coincidence. Apart from a sore arm for a couple of days and a slight off-colour feeling for a day or so while your immune system reacts to the vaccine, there should be no side effects. And it isn't mixed with the swine flu vaccine, that's a separate one that once you've had it you don't need it again. I think if we can stop the flu virus spreading by having a vaccine, we should do it.

Tatjana
18-10-2012, 08:12 PM
The one and only time I had it, years ago, I had the worst flu I have ever had....so haven't bothered since.

cathtee
20-10-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm not having it, I'm a wuss and don't like needles:panic:

peppa Pig
20-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I had mine in Tesco last night £10, bargain as the only year i didn't have the jab i got flu and was off work for three weeks!!!! this year is the first time my arm was sore apart from the time the pharmacist got the needle stuck in my arm but that's another story lol. :D

AliceK
20-10-2012, 01:29 PM
My daughter (5) and I have both had one for the last 3 or 4 years as my partner can't have one but we need to be well to look after him. The vaccine can't make you poorly, it's inactive and if you do get ill afterwards, it's just a coincidence. Apart from a sore arm for a couple of days and a slight off-colour feeling for a day or so while your immune system reacts to the vaccine, there should be no side effects. And it isn't mixed with the swine flu vaccine, that's a separate one that once you've had it you don't need it again. I think if we can stop the flu virus spreading by having a vaccine, we should do it.

Now that's interesting as I was told that it does involve the swine flu vaccine. If it def doesn't then I will get one.

xxx

AliceK
20-10-2012, 01:41 PM
OK, just found this on the NHS website so will NOT be having my jab then.

The 2012/13 vaccine protects against three types of flu virus. This year’s flu jab protects against:

•H1N1 – the strain of flu that caused the swine flu pandemic in 2009
•H3N2 – a strain of flu that can infect birds and mammals and was active in 2011
•a strain of flu that was active in 2010 known as B/Wisconsin/1

xxx

Mummits
20-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I have had one every year since I first had kids and so far no serious side effects. I have only had one day off sick in seven years. My DH and DS1 are asthmatic so get it free. I paid £7 at Morrisons and it did include swine flu this time.