PDA

View Full Version : Can i be a chldminder?!

lisab
15-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone i've recently decided i'd like to become a childminder, the only thing is i wanted to know if

1 can i child mind in a small house with just one room been used by the children?
2 can i child mind if i have a dog? (staffy) she will be kept away from the children at all times in our hallway
3 where do i begin with finding out about courses etc? i've phoned fis with little help from them!

Any info would be really appreciated thanks lisa :)

dawn100
15-10-2012, 11:50 AM
A small house won't stop you from being a childminder but may limit you to how many children you can have as in the EYFS it states that there must be the following indoor space: children under 2 3.5sqm per child, 2 yr olds 2.5sqm per child and 3-5 year olds 2.3sqm per child.

Having a dog won't stop you either but you must RA it and when I had my pre reg I was asked how I would ensure that the children wouldn't have unsupervised access to my dogs(at the time 3 very large dogs), my dogs have always not been allowed into my main living area and the children in my care have no need to access where they are and there are safety gates etc stopping them. Having a dog may however put some potential parents off.

Re courses sorry can't be of help as would of suggested contacting fis as where I live they have always very helpful.

SarahJellybean
15-10-2012, 11:50 AM
fis should be the starting point, what did they say? they should have booked you onto a briefing meeting!

BucksCM
15-10-2012, 12:07 PM
you also need to find out if there is a need in your area for another cm. Is there enough work or are current cm struggling for work?

mammumof4
17-10-2012, 01:10 PM
having a small house and a dog wont stop you being a childminder but like others have said it may effect numbers.
ive never had a parent who didnt sign up because of my dog, but i know some parents could have an issue, allergies ect.
in regards to courses and things i had to do the following
first aid ( a special one for working with small chidren)
a course called, an introduction to working with children (home-based)

i do belive you also need gcse english now?? someone correct me if im wrong please :)
and a level 2 in childcare (also correct if im wrong.

you will also need a very stocked first aid kit, can find you a list if you want?
fire blanket (not 100% sure if this is still a requirement)
and obviously a safe house and garden, not have any offenses relating to children (or live with anyone that has)

hth :)

Pipsqueak
17-10-2012, 01:26 PM
having a small house and a dog wont stop you being a childminder but like others have said it may effect numbers.
ive never had a parent who didnt sign up because of my dog, but i know some parents could have an issue, allergies ect.
in regards to courses and things i had to do the following
first aid ( a special one for working with small chidren)
a course called, an introduction to working with children (home-based)

i do belive you also need gcse english now?? someone correct me if im wrong please :)
and a level 2 in childcare (also correct if im wrong.

you will also need a very stocked first aid kit, can find you a list if you want?
fire blanket (not 100% sure if this is still a requirement)
and obviously a safe house and garden, not have any offenses relating to children (or live with anyone that has)

hth :)

gcse english and level 2 are not necessary :)
you need an 'appropriate' first aid kit and a fire blanket is no longer required!!:cool:

mammumof4
17-10-2012, 08:37 PM
gcse english and level 2 are not necessary :)
you need an 'appropriate' first aid kit and a fire blanket is no longer required!!:cool:

thank you :)

tammyjd
08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Lisa, how did you get on with registering? I'm in the same position as you were, I have a staff dog too but like yourself she's not allowed in main room. Also do you have to complete any courses before hand? I've just came out of being a care assistant after 3 years and now my youngest is old enough to take her self to school and back I'd like to focus on child minding but haven't a clue what's needed and where to begin, completely new to it. Any feed back would be great and wish you all the best.... Thanks Tammy