PDA

View Full Version : Please vote for a young person who saved a friends life.

loocyloo
14-10-2012, 12:22 PM
hello.
i do hope you can take the time to read the story below and vote for Lee. Lee is a young man that i used to nanny for along time ago. He has grown into a super teenager and saved his friends life.

thank you very much x

Vote on-line Vote for your Guy Evans Award winner (http://www.sja.org.uk/firstaidawards/finalists/vote-for-your-guy-evans-award.aspx) by 17 Oct

Lee Craven is a

Finalist in “St John’s Ambulance First Aid Awards”, for saving the life of his friend from drowning in frozen canal and requesting your votes

Lee Craven, a 17 year old student from Hook, Hampshire, saved his friends life, earlier this year, has just been announced in Mail on Sunday as one of this year’s five finalists for a First Aid Award. The winner is selected by public vote.

St John’s Ambulance are honouring Britain’s bravest lifesavers. Lee put his own life at extreme risk in a serious emergency situation to save his friend’s life. “ When Lee’s friend needed him most, Lee’s quick thinking actions saved his friends life from drowning in a frozen canal. Lee’s first aid skills learnt at Scouts prevented Max getting hypothermia.”

Read about Lee in the Mail on Sunday – 7th Oct: Guy Evans Award: The inspirational stories of Britain's bravest lifesavers | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2213823/Guy-Evans-Award-The-inspirational-stories-Britains-bravest-lifesavers.html)

You can cast your vote by going to the website and voting on-line: Vote for your Guy Evans Award winner (http://www.sja.org.uk/firstaidawards/finalists/vote-for-your-guy-evans-award.aspx) by 17 October.

Lee’s life-saving Actions:

· It was one of the coldest night of the year back in early February with a Met Office amber weather warning.

· The canal was frozen over and Lee’s friend thought it was a by-way trod on it in dark and plummeted into freezing water, the strong current moved him away and he was in danger of drowning.

· Lee heard the screams of other friends who did not know what to do and ran to scene and had to act quickly to find a way to help.

· Lee saw a tree stump at side of canal, wrapped his legs around it, stretched his body over the ice, submerged his top half of body in hole in ice. Lee thought he was going to fall in himself but knew this was his only chance to save his friends life .

· Lee could not see Max, so he stretched out as far as he could and with sweeping actions underwater found Max’s fingertips and grabbed them. With all his strength he pulled Max out of canal and to safety.

· Lee remembered his First Aid he had learnt at Scouts and for his DofE awards and noticed that Max was displaying early signs of hypothermia, was shocked and unable to speak.

· Lee proceeded to do all the right things so Max did not get hypothermia, took him back to house, and ensured he warmed up gradually with dry cloths and keeping his body warm. Lee phoned Max’s mother and reassured her. Max mum said “ Lee was amazing and without him and his braveness that cold, icy evening I cannot even begin to think what could have happened to Max”.

· The emergency services were not required and Max made a full recovery that evening.

· Lee realised how important it is to be prepared for emergencies. Lee and Max went on to do a Lifeguarding course together. Max said as his introduction to course “This is Lee my best buddy, who saved my life”

Lee was nominated for the Guy Evans Award by his mother Jennie who said; ‘I am so pleased for Lee as he was exceptionally brave. I am proud of how he saved his friends life. Even though he put his own life at serious risk, his only thoughts were for rescuing his friend, on one of the coldest nights of the year. His quick thinking, extreme courage in such a dangerous and difficult emergency was amazing. Lee calmly, took control, life-saving his friend, then treating him for hyperthermia. I feel so very grateful that they are both alive and I think Lee is a true life-saving hero.’

Lee said on hearing about the award “I’m really so very honoured to be shortlisted for the St John’s First Aid award. I struggle at college with my dyslexia and learning difficulties and I am pleased I could think quickly to save Max’s life. I know it was really dangerous and we had so little time and we could have both died. When my friend needed me most I was there for him.”

Thank you for reading this. Lee will be grateful for your votes Vote for your Guy Evans Award winner (http://www.sja.org.uk/firstaidawards/finalists/vote-for-your-guy-evans-award.aspx)

blue bear
14-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I've voted, what an amazing young man :thumbsup:

lozzy23
14-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Voted:thumbsup:

Wow he was so brave and kept his head, remembering the information about hypothermia, well done Lee:clapping:

cathtee
14-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi I have voted for Lee, what a brave young man well done and good luck to him :thumbsup:

loocyloo
14-10-2012, 06:34 PM
thank you everyone

x

Chimps Childminding
14-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Have voted too!!!

silvermist
14-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow what an amazing young man, Ive voted for him too!! xxx

ruby
14-10-2012, 09:00 PM