PDA

View Full Version : DYSLEXIA SUPPORT

The Juggler
11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi there everyone.

Went to a local dyslexia meeting last night and was told about 2 petitions they are supporting. One is to ensure teachers are taught during their teacher training, about recognising the signs of dyslexia early so support is given. The second is to ensure modular GCSE's remain in place as returning to the old 'test everything at the end of 2 years" system will obviously make the whole exam experience less stressful for dyslexics (and all children!).

The first is Dyslexia training to be mandatory in Initial Teacher Training - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20674)

Petition for Dyslexia training to be mandatory in Initial Teacher Training The British Dyslexia Association proposes that Initial Teacher Training course providers should be required to deliver mandatory and consistent dyslexia awareness sessions. The mandatory minimum should be the existing Department of Education 2005 module;

The second is https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39750
Petition to keep modular examinationsResponsible department: Department for Education

As a A-level student feel modular examinations are needed. They break down the content of work for students and give them a date to work towards. Changing the current system will not only cause a decrease in students passing but will also reduce students' work ethic. Focusing across a period of two years is difficult, and some students will not be able to do it. Modular exams are necessary for the success of students in our nation.

Please sign to support all those affected by dyslexia.

Thank you
:D

cathtee
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Signed both for you :)

AgentTink
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I fully support both of these petitions. I had already signed them as I am a follower of dyslexia action on facebook as my partner is both dyslexic and dyspraxic. Dyslexia action have offered him so much support due to some work issues he had, and they got things improved for him in the workplace. My partner has always said that the only reason he scrapped c grades was due to being able to do coursework. I feel for any child with dyslexia who could only sit a exam, the pressure would be huge, which then only makes the dyslexia worse. In regards to teachers being trained on teaching methods and having a understanding of how dyslexic's think would mean support in the classroom would be given in a way that supports and doesn't hinder a dyslexic.

FussyElmo
11-10-2012, 08:02 PM
signed both of them :thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
thanks girls. agentink, am off to follow dyslexia action on fb. thank you x

Trouble
12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
thanks girls. agentink, am off to follow dyslexia action on fb. thank you x
Both signed:clapping: we have just had a party as our group has been going for 20 years, we have started up cheap Saturday classes for children to be taught by a dyslexia trained teacher we have 20 kids attending and a waiting list:thumbsup:

The Juggler
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Both signed:clapping: we have just had a party as our group has been going for 20 years, we have started up cheap Saturday classes for children to be taught by a dyslexia trained teacher we have 20 kids attending and a waiting list:thumbsup:

that is fab trouble! we had real problems finding a dyslexia tutor and now she's left us and we are looking all over agian :( what a great idea:thumbsup: