PDA

View Full Version : 2simple app for ob's

Beenletloose
09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Has anyone heard or seen the new app available for phones/ iPads, it's called 2simple, it looks really good that you can take a photo add you observation then use the objectives to find the link to the EYFS. You are then able to print it out and place it in the child's folder. You have to use your own pin to be able to access it, so no one can look at the information without your permission, especially if your phone gets lost.
I was just wondering if anyone has heard whether or not it is allowed to be used as part of the EYFS, as I know the advisors say we can use our own system for logging obs etc, but using an app is a first.

babs
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
its brill ive got it saves loads of time and you can do it there and then so dont forget anything like at pg this morning did a couple ...

catlyn
09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
is it free to download???

marian
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Yes - But I think you can only store a limited number of obs

Marian x

Wheelybug
09-10-2012, 01:03 PM
You can trial it for free, but then you have to pay £30 per year. I personally prefer Orbit. It takes a bit longer to work out but I find it easier to link observations to developmental matters and it has extra features.

Cathy

catlyn
09-10-2012, 01:04 PM
just tried searching for it on my HTC and couldnt find it??

Jules12Wed
09-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I've been using it for a few weeks now finding it fab. I'm doing so many more obs because of it.

Paulab
09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Ooh what is the app called, sounds good to me x

Beenletloose
09-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Here is the link to the site 2Build a Profile Early Years (http://www.2simpleapps.com)

babs
09-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Its called 2simple.

Paulab
09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Thank you, I'll have a gander x

hollyoaksmad
09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
the 2 simple one looks brill but do u haveto pay after a while i set it up on phone would they send a bill i dont want that

Lana10
09-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Ooh I have to have a look too,how much time is that going to save !!!:clapping:

2kidsunder5
10-10-2012, 01:13 PM
the 2 simple one looks brill but do u haveto pay after a while i set it up on phone would they send a bill i dont want that

Looks brilliant but I have the same question, it will let me download it but doesn't say how much it costs or how they will charge for it?

Lana10
10-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I believe its £29 for childminders 2Build a Profile Early Years (http://www.2simpleapps.com/)

Katiekoo
10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I used it for a while then it stopped working because they wanted to charge me - there had been no mention of the cost involved and I had assumed it would be free. Orbit is much better, imo, give that a go, it does a lot more than 2simple and it is genuinely free. :thumbsup:

Lana10
10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Just a thought about using these apps,is it ok to use your phone ? or does it have to be a device specifically for using with the children ie: ipad or ipod.

annmar1a
10-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Looks like a great idea.

MagdalenaS
10-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I used it for a while then it stopped working because they wanted to charge me - there had been no mention of the cost involved and I had assumed it would be free. Orbit is much better, imo, give that a go, it does a lot more than 2simple and it is genuinely free. :thumbsup:
Hi I can not find this Orbit app for iPhone or iPad. Can someone point me in the right direction?

mum24
10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi I have been trialing both 2simple and Orbit. Mainly because I started using 2simple and then Orbit came out.

So for 2simple, you can keep up to, I think, 5 observations, then as long as you delete the earlier one or ones, you can then do more, but keep only 5 current at one time. If you have emailed your earlier ones so you have copies to your pc, then just do a new obs. I find it very easy to use. I now have the paid version because I got it just before Orbit started. I have to say that the customer service from 2simple is very fast and friendly. I am happy to recommend this app, it saves so much time and it really is very simple to use.

Re Orbit, I am still getting to grips with this. They are still building lots of features, which is great, but I am finding it a bit difficult to keep up with the changes, and not all of them work very well with my phone at present. However, it is very comprehensive, free, and the big plus really is that parents and other providers can access a childs profile and add their own photos, comments etc, so it shows very good working together. I do like this, but it is not as easy to use as 2simple. Again their customer support is good.

As far as Ofsted is concerned I have seen recommendations for both apps from childminders who have been inspected and Ofsted have liked both apps. I think the main thing is that we understand our children and then these apps just show our planning around the child in a much quicker way for us. And no notes going missing, getting scribbled on by the children or being written so quickly that if you are like me, you can't read what you wrote:blush:

I think at the moment I am pretty much using 2simple when out and about with the children or in the garden and use my phone for photos, but when we are inside I am using Orbit on my ipad that I just had bought for me, :clapping: I can see what I am doing better on the ipad with Orbit which I find too complicated to use on my phone with the smaller screen.

Dancingqueen
15-10-2012, 11:41 AM
So much more to take in than I had anticipated. Thanks for the info. x

2kidsunder5
16-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Looks brilliant but I have the same question, it will let me download it but doesn't say how much it costs or how they will charge for it?

Ok, so if you download the app from your market place it will only allow you to do 5 obs then you need to delete or download and delete them. This is a free app and there is no charge at all forever and forever. However, if you ring them and ask for the 30 day free trial you can do unlimited obs, photo's etc and use the web pages too, after 30 days it will cost you £29.

I found it easy to use but needed more than 5 obs a week so am now on the free trial. I have also explored Orbit, but to be honest it isn't for me simply because I love my little ones files, we enjoy looking at them together and they are individual. I don't want all my paperwork to look the same. Parents share the files and info quite happily, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" :) I use 2simple as it is quick and easy, but I do then transfer the obs onto my own paperwork :)

Beenletloose
17-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Ok, so if you download the app from your market place it will only allow you to do 5 obs then you need to delete or download and delete them. This is a free app and there is no charge at all forever and forever. However, if you ring them and ask for the 30 day free trial you can do unlimited obs, photo's etc and use the web pages too, after 30 days it will cost you £29.

I found it easy to use but needed more than 5 obs a week so am now on the free trial. I have also explored Orbit, but to be honest it isn't for me simply because I love my little ones files, we enjoy looking at them together and they are individual. I don't want all my paperwork to look the same. Parents share the files and info quite happily, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" :) I use 2simple as it is quick and easy, but I do then transfer the obs onto my own paperwork :)

childminders can not get the 30 day trial, but you are allowed 5 obs to try before you buy, I too print them out and put in child's folder

2kidsunder5
17-10-2012, 03:30 PM
childminders can not get the 30 day trial, but you are allowed 5 obs to try before you buy, I too print them out and put in child's folder

I rang them yesterday and got the 30 day free trial :D

SamBaker
18-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I just found 2simple and downloaded the app for free, will they charge me?? Also can we add photos to our reports? I'm a bit confused at the mo lol!!

WibbleWobble
18-11-2012, 05:46 PM
there is a local childminder who uses her phone for obs....she was reported to ofsted for using her phone and not supervising the children in her care.

she got a visit

i dont know what was meant by not supervising...

wibble xxxx

mr man
18-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I use 2simple it is fantastic. Saves huge amout of time.
I also email the child parent a monthly report and they have a pin to open the link.
I print off and then out in their file.

Highly Recommend it.

weecare
18-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi all,

I have been looking at Orbit and wondered are we able to print the observations and assessment off to put in the child files.

Many thanks

SamBaker
19-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

I have been looking at Orbit and wondered are we able to print the observations and assessment off to put in the child files.

Many thanks

Id be interested to know this too and if we can add photos to the report

SamBaker
19-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I use 2simple it is fantastic. Saves huge amout of time.
I also email the child parent a monthly report and they have a pin to open the link.
I print off and then out in their file.

Highly Recommend it.

I have downloaded this when I email to print off its not adding a photo?