PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diaries

Lana10
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
I have always done a daily diary for each of my littlies,which was fine when I had just 2.Now I find myself rushing to get something written down before they are collected and often forget to write things down.
My question is: is there a better way to manage this or should I scrap it and try something new?

hollyoaksmad
08-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I have always done a daily diary for each of my littlies,which was fine when I had just 2.Now I find myself rushing to get something written down before they are collected and often forget to write things down.
My question is: is there a better way to manage this or should I scrap it and try something new?

Heya I have a child for 1 hour a day sometimes it's crazy and I write in the book if I can but not a lot is written child comes is plays then I av to scribble in the book I'm mad lol. Maybe an online one maybe better just write down the main stuff like nappies and food then send emails at night ?

Paulab
08-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I feel exactly the same my last parent I did one for admitted they had never read it !
so just had a new one start today, & I'm doing a quick verbal handover, ie ate a good lunch, slept for x amount, that we been to toddlers/park etc
Anything important will be emailled,

I haven't got time to sit for 20 mins + filling in diarys,

These children of course will have their learning journals

Hope this helps

miffy
09-10-2012, 06:48 AM
I do all my daily diaries on the computer and e-mail to parents at the end of the week. They read and send back their comments - I find I get much more (written) feedback that way - I print them off and add to LJ's. i do have a chat with parents each night but this system seems to work OK for me as I'm too busy in the day to write much.

Miffy xx

sarah707
09-10-2012, 05:09 PM
If you are finding it stressful then you need to think about how to make it work for you!

I asked all parents if they valued the diary - and only write it for those who said 'yes' now - the rest communicate verbally with me anyway.

Hth :D

eddie
09-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I used to have this problem - not to mention the fact I have awful handwriting so it was probably illegible anyway.

I use online diaries now but know they are not to everyone's taste - you could use text messages or email instead perhaps?

Lana10
10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks for helping,I am going to try emails:)

Mollymop
10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I like diaries but my parents never read them, which I find frustrating. I keep their dairies on my desk and just make a note of things when the day progresses which works well. I don't fill it in at the end of the day as I would not find the time, like you. But I wouldn't want to use my time to sit and type up a report and email it every day either so I find an open note book jotted in every now and again works best for me. xx:thumbsup:

Jods
10-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I dont do daily diaries.

I text my parents when they sleep, wake, what we had for lunch, sometimes the odd photo of what we are doing. I have a blog (which is not EYFS/LJ related) which is tounge and cheek and something for the parents to read. My LJ are online, and my paperwork is now all web based also.

marian
10-10-2012, 07:50 AM
For the little-es I do a little 'my day' sheet ( an A5) with what they have eaten, nappies, what we have been up too - very brief and I pop it in their bags at the end of the day - I tend to fill in as I go along!
Parents all have a 'chat 'at the end of the day anyway.:rolleyes:
For any older ones (- 3 - 4) I just do a verbal hand over - the children tend to tell then what we have been or are going to do anyway!

Marian x

loocyloo
10-10-2012, 08:27 AM
i have an A5 sheet that i list meals, sleeps, nappies, what we did and any notes to parents. i write it as the day goes on, usually updating at snack, lunch & tea time! i put occaisonal photos on too.

each child has an A5 folder that they bring each day and i put the daily sheet in there. there are also a few 'parent comment' forms at the back for messages from parents.

i have one child ( one day a week ) whose mum forgets to bring folder probably every other week, but i just send the sheet home and mum puts it in the folder!

i have been doing a daily ( or weekly ) diary ever since i started nannying, so its been part of my life for nearly 25 yrs! i don't find it really takes much time, and i do a verbal handover every day as well.

i write the diary each day until they start school.

2kidsunder5
10-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Some days I have 4 little ones and it can be a pain doing 4 diaries. I know one of my parents never reads it. To be honest some days I just don't get the time to write them. I do find them useful for me though as I tend to write little obs in them which I can go back to when looking at the dev matters and tracker x :)

Gracie's mamma
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I've stopped doing them as i found i was telling them everything that i had all ready written.

so now i just have a quick chat when they pick up , if i firget anything i ring or text them