PDA

View Full Version : DS9 sent home from school..now im stressed

dette
08-10-2012, 11:22 AM
My DS9 is diabetic and most of the time is quite well .has ups and downs but nothing we cant deal with.i was 40 recenly and DH is taking me to paris at the weekend..just us ,no kids.We havent been away for more than 24 hr since he's been diabetic and thats hard to coordinate,all meals need to be organised for him and carbs counted ,insulin worked out etc so for a whole weekend its gonna be a massive task but worth it hopefully,
The kids are all staying with grandparents ,grandad diabetic too so knows a bit about how to care for him ,anyway just as we booked the flights nannas sister got diagnosed with terminal lung cancer !! she said not to worry if anything happened while we were away then grandad was still home...then grandad had a diabetic hypo and fell to his knees while walking the dogs and broke his knee ..so he's in a full leg cast:eek:.They are still convinced they'll cope so we didnt cancel.Then an hour ago my son developed high sugars and ketones(they make you ill) at school and now i have him at home...Im starting to get the feeling we shouldnt be going way:(.
Weve never had more than a day together ..ever.We have 7 kids and even took our baby on honeymoon with us (came back expecting another).
I'm sooooo stressed ..we,ve got a couple of days to sort it .really need a break but feel so selfish with everything thats going on...and its cost a fortune that we cant afford to lose ..
sorry to go on ..just feel a bit sad:(

blue bear
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
:group hug::group hug::group hug:it's only Monday, hope things sort out for you x

jillplum
08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I would say wait till the last minute to make your decision. hopefully by then your son will be more stable and you will feel better about leaving him. maybe you can enlist another friend or relative to step in if needed. Also check the times and costs of getting an earlier flight home if you have to. Hope you manage to get away it will do you good. :)

sarah707
08-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Oh hunny what a worry for you!

Do you have any other family who can step in if granddad finds it all too much?

Hugs xx

dette
08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
there's nobody that can deal with his diabetes :( his 2 big sisters are both working all weekend and even they have only ever watched him for a few hours .Me and DH look after him 24 /7 :(.His diabetic team dont work weekends or evenings so it would meen a trip to childrens ward if they have any difficulties,(20 min drive away)even they might not be able to help as he wears an unsulin pump attatched to a canullar type set and theres only a handful of people with them round here.nearest hospital to deal with him is 2 hours away !!!Its really threw me today when he was ill because it dawned on me that i can manage most things to do with his condition and he's not spent a day in hospital since he was first diagnosed 3 yr ago but any problems would be a trip to hospital when im not around.

cathtee
08-10-2012, 08:12 PM
did you take out insurance on your hol, if you did you may get your money back due to illness in the family worth a try, hope everyone will be ok and you don't have to cancel

The Juggler
08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
i agree you may be able to cancel with your insurance but please see if you can get someone to care for him. At some point honey someone will need to, what will you do when he goes on school trips you have paid for if he has high blood sugars? just thinking ahead a few years.

Please try and go - do you have any grown up friends who can have /watch him for the time you are away rather than big sisters ??

Trouble
08-10-2012, 09:41 PM
I think you need the break and go :thumbsup:

dette
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
i agree you may be able to cancel with your insurance but please see if you can get someone to care for him. At some point honey someone will need to, what will you do when he goes on school trips you have paid for if he has high blood sugars? just thinking ahead a few years.

Please try and go - do you have any grown up friends who can have /watch him for the time you are away rather than big sisters ??

me or DH have to go on trips with him,anything further than an hour away,as if pump falls off(which it does ),we have 1 hour max to put it back on.he has a school trip in july and DH will have to take 3 days off to go with him !!
Insurance wont cover as pre existing condition and ours only covers more than 2 nights away
Grandparents said this morning that things should be ok..theyve borrowed a car..theirs broke yesterday(can anything else go wrong)
all looking stable with grans sister ,with cancer .they said if the have to go hospital with DS then thats what they,ll do ,got a few friends on standby to help grandad with the other 3 kids if gran has to go hospital with DS ..
Need to get someone..anyone trained up to work his pump ...anyway thanks loads everyone.i'll see what the next few days bring and let you all know xxxx

mandy moo
09-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Would it be possible to transfer monies paid to another date, say in a few weeks time.
I know it wont be the same , but you can in the meantime, find out what can be done to help you and your son should something like this happen again or if you want to go away again and the grandperants cant help.
One thought that came to me aloutgh prob'ly expensive a private nurse to come in daily/stay?
How about getting in touch with your local paper, they could possibly run a story, you never know whos reading that may be able to help.
Just a few thought, hope you dont mind

dette
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Would it be possible to transfer monies paid to another date, say in a few weeks time.
I know it wont be the same , but you can in the meantime, find out what can be done to help you and your son should something like this happen again or if you want to go away again and the grandperants cant help.
One thought that came to me aloutgh prob'ly expensive a private nurse to come in daily/stay?
How about getting in touch with your local paper, they could possibly run a story, you never know whos reading that may be able to help.
Just a few thought, hope you dont mind

i like the nurse idea..wonder if a community nurse could help..i'll get onto it xxxx
we took hotel and flight seperatly and hotel is untransferable and thats the dearest bit...you live and learn
maybe i need a chilminder who will train up....any offers :) im in cumbria

The Juggler
09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
me or DH have to go on trips with him,anything further than an hour away,as if pump falls off(which it does ),we have 1 hour max to put it back on.he has a school trip in july and DH will have to take 3 days off to go with him !!
Insurance wont cover as pre existing condition and ours only covers more than 2 nights away
Grandparents said this morning that things should be ok..theyve borrowed a car..theirs broke yesterday(can anything else go wrong)
all looking stable with grans sister ,with cancer .they said if the have to go hospital with DS then thats what they,ll do ,got a few friends on standby to help grandad with the other 3 kids if gran has to go hospital with DS ..
Need to get someone..anyone trained up to work his pump ...anyway thanks loads everyone.i'll see what the next few days bring and let you all know xxxx

hon, surely someone at the school should be trained to deal with his pump, same as dealing with epipens etc. I would have thought that would be a requirement of his care plan at school? no?

dette
09-10-2012, 01:04 PM
hon, surely someone at the school should be trained to deal with his pump, same as dealing with epipens etc. I would have thought that would be a requirement of his care plan at school? no?

school can manage to supervise him giving himself a dose of insulin when he eats and they can supervise blood glucose testing and dealing with hypos but as far as the pump itself then they wont do it as it involves inserting a canular type set onto his fat(bum cheek)which goes on with a device containing a kind of needle.if he pulls it off when he's playing,as he does i have to go in and put it back on,sometimes thet get infected and dont work properly so again i have to go in.only live 2 min from school luckily..care plan says..ring mam or hospital :(

mandy moo
10-10-2012, 07:32 AM
i like the nurse idea..wonder if a community nurse could help..i'll get onto it xxxx
we took hotel and flight seperatly and hotel is untransferable and thats the dearest bit...you live and learn
maybe i need a chilminder who will train up....any offers :) im in cumbria

Wish I could, only Im in Hertfordshire :(

Jods
10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
My daughter hated the pump.

Can you not take him off the pump and use injected insulin whilst you are away, as this is alot simpler for 'others' to help/deal with ?

My daughter has been injecting for 10 years now, her HBAC is always around the 7 mark, and even whilst going through puperty has been incredibly stable, we had 1 year of keytones and instability including 3 hospital visits, unfortunatly that was when she tried a pump x

dette
10-10-2012, 08:23 AM
My daughter hated the pump.

Can you not take him off the pump and use injected insulin whilst you are away, as this is alot simpler for 'others' to help/deal with ?

My daughter has been injecting for 10 years now, her HBAC is always around the 7 mark, and even whilst going through puperty has been incredibly stable, we had 1 year of keytones and instability including 3 hospital visits, unfortunatly that was when she tried a pump x

unfortunatly his insulin requirements are really small so even an extra 1/3 of a unit either way can have a big effect so he hasnt got a choice .he was either hypo or hyper constanlty.his diabetic nurse is on leave(been 4 month now) so the other nurse is overstretched.waitin for her to phone since monday !!! dont even know how much lantus to give as been 3 years since hes had it ,dont really want to guess as wont be here to monitor him.his ratios vary so much across the day from 12-1 to 25-1 and he drops low over night so we have to reduce background at certain times of day and night to stabilize him...i agree though at times like this it would be much easier as grandad is diabetic and injects himself ..just the whole weekends carbcounting but would have to do that either way ...after the big high on monday he had 5 hypos yesterday !!!! one of them 1.4 :eek: but not so worried about that as he recovers quickly and is always supervised..i think he must be coming down with something ..bet hes snotty tomorrow

Jods
10-10-2012, 08:41 AM
tbh we dont carb count, I just ensure she has a medium portion of carbs, I suppose luckily for us her pancreas stopped completley when she was 8 yrs so has no background to deal with.

My DD has highs when she is coming down with a bug or two, but again we seem to be very lucky (touches wood) as although she has diabetes she is never ill in any other respect x

If I were you I would go, but have an emegency return home contingency plan, my philosophy in life 'cross the bridges you get to, not the invisible ones that dont even exist' x good luck x

dette
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
thanks xxx

dette
15-10-2012, 12:16 PM
well......we got back from paris at half one this morning and DS has been great all weekend,a couple of hypos but pump still firmly attatched :D .
I'm going to see about a community nurse if i ever ..ever ..ever get chance to go away again,really glad i went ,even if we did miss them all loads,spent all weekend smiling at french kids coz we missed ours

JCrakers
15-10-2012, 12:28 PM
:clapping: glad you managed to get away

The Juggler
15-10-2012, 05:26 PM
glad you had a lovely time honey :clapping::clapping:

blue bear
15-10-2012, 07:16 PM
SO pleased it all worked out :clapping:

Jods
16-10-2012, 01:45 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: yaya x