PDA

View Full Version : How to become a reception / primary teacher?

oxfordshirecm
07-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could help please?

As the title says really... Does any one know what the steps are in becoming a primary school teacher?

I have 9 GCSE grade a-c, 3 A levels grade b-d, a foundation diploma in arts, but no degree.

I am currently doing a NVQ level. 3 which I am due to complete in November.

I am planning on childminding for at least another 3-4 years so I thought I would use this time to study so when my youngest goes to school I can transfer as a teacher.

However I have no idea where to start... Can anyone help please?

dette
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I might be wrong but i think you need a degree to be a teacher,either in teaching or any degree plus a special top up teaching qualification(PGCE).perhaps you could top up your diploma with more units to get your degree then do PGCE..i know a few people who have done this.the teaching degree route takes about 4 years full time

teacake2
08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
My DS got into teaching by working in a school while doing his qualification, you do have to have a degree though to do it this way (in our area anyway)
Teacake2

oxfordshirecm
08-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I might be wrong but i think you need a degree to be a teacher,either in teaching or any degree plus a special top up teaching qualification(PGCE).perhaps you could top up your diploma with more units to get your degree then do PGCE..i know a few people who have done this.the teaching degree route takes about 4 years full time

Hi thank you for the reply.... Do you know if this can be done whilst I still work as a childminder? Also I would that mean it would take me 8 years as it will be part time?

Hmmm not sure if I can become a teacher after all :panic:

dette
08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
i think you need to contact your nearest uni that offer teaching qualifications and ask them what your options are ..dont give up before you start.and as for fitting round your childminding...you are your own boss ..you work when you want to ,you just need to find kids for the right days :)

oxfordshirecm
09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
i think you need to contact your nearest uni that offer teaching qualifications and ask them what your options are ..dont give up before you start.and as for fitting round your childminding...you are your own boss ..you work when you want to ,you just need to find kids for the right days :)

Thank you for this advice I will contact them this week.... Its something I have always wanted to do but finances have always gone against me until now.... Only prob is the little ones I childmind at the moment are twin two year olds and I look after their sisters who are 6 and 7- their parents work full time so have them for 50 hours a week so would be hard o get them to fit around going to uni so hoping I can do it in the evenings and weekends.... But will speak to a uni like u said as a starting point