PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes?

Mrs Dolphin
05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Just looking to see if anyone has any knowledge?

My own daughter who will be 3 in November has had some strange symptoms for the last year. She will often wake up with the shakes in the morning, when this first started it looked to me like she needed to eat something and it does subside with food.

We have been to the drs twice, first time they wanted to check for urine infections, this all came back clear.

Next time we went we had a new symptom, excessive drinking, she drinks gallons and asks for drinks all day long. They did a finger prick text to check her blood sugar but it was fine (but surely that only checks it at that moment).

It is still happening but more frequently, about twice a week she will wake with the shakes and is still drinking like a fish.

The dr said to me it would be unusual to diagnose a child of this age with diabetes, but that says to me that she didn't say it wouldn't/couldn't be, just that its hard to diagnose.

Has anyone got a child with diabetes that could give me some advice, or know what else could be causing this. We are going back to the drs on Friday.

k1rstie
05-10-2012, 09:32 PM
My husbands' first clue was his thirst.

I hope you get a reason soon. Good Luck

blue bear
05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
When. MY son was tested he had to have finger pricks over 24 hours. His blood sugars increased with starvation which is unusual but his levels were still in the normal range so not diabetes. He shakes, but all the time not like your dd.

dette
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM
My DS is 9 now and he has been diabetic for 3 years.He had symptoms for most of the 6 years before and i had him tested numerous times before he finally tested positive for high sugars.His sugars seemed to fluctuate and now that i have a lot of knowledge on the subject i can recognise his symptoms as being mostly high like he was only producing insulin sometimes although the specalist says diabetes wouldnt come and go ..it would appear and then you would be diabetic basicly...i disagree..they dont know everything about diabetes yet .Symptoms for high sugars for my little boy are thirst,sore legs ,fatigue, weeing alot,including wetting the bed(which is what he was doing when he finally got diagnosed)and hunger(as the food isnt being broken down into usable energy your body still thinks you need more food)
THe morning symptoms you describe could be that of high sugars rather than low as it isnt really possible to go low when you are diabetic without giving insulin.Diabetes is when your body stops producing insulin so sugars will rise without it ..not fall.although my son used to cry for his food and feel loads better after he had eaten.much as he does now when he is low !!!
There are other conditions that affect blood sugars but keep vigilant for the symptoms as i know from my experience that despite what the doctors say its too much of a coincidence for a child to show blood sugar related symptoms for 5 years and then develop diabetes...at age 6!! i know it was "brewing" in until it got to a to point where his pancreas just gave in..PM me if you think i can help any further x

Jods
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
My daughter has Type 1 diabetes she was diagnosed when she was 6, nearly 10 years ago.

Her symptoms were excessive thirst, extreme tirednes, lethargy and bed wetting.