PDA

View Full Version : Centre for social justice report

Kiddleywinks
05-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Really don't want to ruin anyone's weekend but this is pants!

You have been warned :(

http://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/client/images/Childcare%20FINAL_041012.pdf

sarah707
05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Oh dear :(

Childrenatheart
05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Another nail in the coffin :angry:
I want to know more about these childminding agencies they quote figures from as the report implies they are in the UK. Another inaccuracy along with the ratios and our SE status?

Ripeberry
05-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I've posted it on my Facebook local CM group. Looks like they are going to do what they want without listening to us :angry:

Mouse
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Who are these people? I've googled them and it says they are an independent think tank. I wonder how much notice the government will actually take?

I have had a quick read through but to me it reads as if it's written by people who really don't know what they're talking about :panic:

blue bear
05-10-2012, 10:18 PM
That is written with one intention in mind, cutting costs. Numbers have been crunched to make it look like universal credit will be the saviour to the government in cutting childcare subsidies.
Childminders are only need between 6pm and 8 am and should work Hand in hand with after school clubs

What a load of tosh, in one paragraph they say they can't understand why more parents don't register as childminders and in the next paragraph state often childminders work below minimum wage when costs have been taken into account:panic:

Shivvie
06-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I have no words, just :(:angry:

mum26
06-10-2012, 08:16 AM
I do hope this report isn't taken seriously. In the foreward they do say that the report focuses on supporting parents into employment and not on child development - so it is all about cutting costs and with no thought about any detrimental effects that may have! Lots of inaccuracies - it appears from figure 2 that only nurseries and schools care for children aged between 1 and 4 years :( and generalisations without concrete evidence to back them up! Also why on earth is Lorna Achampong, a childminder, supporting this??

loocyloo
06-10-2012, 08:35 AM
i can't read anymore!! :( :angry:

i got to page 8 and that was enough. for goodness sake, do they not have the faintest idea what we do?

and 'the young childminder' obviously doesn't have any life experience or maybe any life full stop! :rolleyes:

Twinkles
06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
What I want to know is where is the paper laying out how we can cut the cost of heating engineers , plumbers , electricians ?

All of these professions have a high hourly rate but they are never targeted.

The centre for social justice should take a look at the yearly wage of most childminders and then decide if we are costing too much !

I just can't see how we will sustain our businesses if just about anyone can become a childminder.

BTW I am not having a go at the above professions we all need to earn a living wage.

Well I'm off to do my grocery shopping in Harrods food hall in my Bentley ( it's the butlers day off )

BuggsieMoo
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
It was the comment about attendance and costings that got me - last time I looked, we all do an attendance register as well as accounts.

Oh and the comment that childminders should be considered as self employed......Im sure HMRC can confirm that this is already the case!

Idiots!

MrAnchovy
10-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Another nail in the coffin :angry:
I want to know more about these childminding agencies they quote figures from as the report implies they are in the UK. Another inaccuracy along with the ratios and our SE status?

If you are talking about Figure 8 on page 24 it was a misquote. I have checked with the original report and there is no mention of childminding agencies (of course).

Who are these people? I've googled them and it says they are an independent think tank. I wonder how much notice the government will actually take?

Given that this think tank was founded by Iain Duncan Smith, who is now the minister responsible for putting any of this into action through changes to the proposals for Universal Credit, they may take quite a lot of notice.

Although there are a number of inaccuracies in this report, particularly with respect to childminders, I think it would be a mistake for childminders to dismiss its recommendations because it does NOT recommend the creation of umbrella agencies, in fact it identifies that agencies add unnecessary cost.

loocyloo
10-10-2012, 06:50 AM
i forwarded this to my LA ... who had NOT seen it :eek: they will be composing a reply to correct some innaccuricies