PDA

View Full Version : nursery death - york

Pipsqueak
03-10-2012, 01:39 PM
two members of staff have been arrested and questioned...

the LO who died on a slide last month at a nursery in york

so sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-19812174

scoobydoo1
03-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I know that was awful, the poor parents, why was a rope or I think it was that was on the slide in the first place. I sounded very iffy at the time to me and was wondering where the staff were..

Pipsqueak
03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I know that was awful, the poor parents, why was a rope or I think it was that was on the slide in the first place. I sounded very iffy at the time to me and was wondering where the staff were..

I must admit I find it astonishing that by the time the staff realised something was wrong the child was unresponsive.
so heartbreaking :(

AgentTink
03-10-2012, 02:33 PM
This story broke my heart. The day it happened was also my girls first day in pre-school and it really brought home to me how high the ratios are for this age group. In my daughters pre-school there are 25 children and 3 teachers/assistants. It is never easy to see what all children in this size group are doing at all times, especially if you dealing with other little issues such a child hurt, child wet themselves, etc.

I dont really know what the answer is, as in this case there appears to have been a issue with supervision along with equipment being used incorrectly.

Boris
03-10-2012, 07:40 PM
It's absolutely awful that this could have happened. The children can't have been supervised properly, I have worked in nurseries where the staff were too bothered chatting about the weekend/what's on tele/latest fashion etc etc to give the children their full attention. I hope others learn from it. Heartbreaking for the parents.

blue bear
03-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Whilst not clear the photo in the sun showed what looked like an unravelled cargo net/rope climber thing attached to the side of the slide, poor little girl :(

winstonian
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Poor little girl and her poor parents

margimum
04-10-2012, 10:05 PM
It goes to show that you can have all the risk assessments and paperwork in place, but actually watching the children is what's needed. That's why it's called LOOKING after them!!

chez
05-10-2012, 05:56 AM
This to me sounded like they may have been offering free flow play. Why an adult wasn't watching is one thing but how many minders off this free flow? I was given my only action from my ofsted report - make your garden secure enough that the children could play out here unsupervised in free flow format! I have 2 minders in my setting ofsted inspector really couldn't grasp what I was saying even if the garden was really really secure no child would be playing unsupervised

blue bear
05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
This to me sounded like they may have been offering free flow play. Why an adult wasn't watching is one thing but how many minders off this free flow? I was given my only action from my ofsted report - make your garden secure enough that the children could play out here unsupervised in free flow format! I have 2 minders in my setting ofsted inspector really couldn't grasp what I was saying even if the garden was really really secure no child would be playing unsupervised

But they have to be in sight or hearing and with three children we can easily watch them, bit weird an ofsted inspector wanting the children tomplaynunsupervised.

chez
05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Chanced are if there was a few children out there you'd hear them just not be able to hear if one went quiet

lilac_dragon
05-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Free flow play has always caused me problems! Sorry - this is a bit long!!!

My garden is 120 ft long and is in 3 sections, the first is a very small paved area/patio with a short narrow area of grass and flower border. we have seating and a metal shed/toy store in this area with most of the toys not in use stored in there in plastic boxes, outside painting is done here as it's close enough to the kitchen and laundry room to have access to taps for cleaning painty hands etc. sometimes better than a bowl of water.
The next section is semi screened by a row of 6ft high fruit trees with a walk way though it - which I do NOT want to change. This section opens out wider and is about 60x35 ft and has the main play equipment such as Little Tykes climbing frame, slide, mini trampoline, play tents, large foam blocks for building structures, dens etc, a plastic Wendy House, sand pit/water table and the car ride ons.
The 3rd section is more specifically for the older school age children with bigger slide, climbing frame, swings, swingball, 10ft hazel branches for Den building and a wooden "Clubhouse" type of shed with table, chairs, table football, pens, paper, playing cards, board games, where they can Chill Out- we have Nanny Cam in there to make sure all is welll while still giving them space, and I can see and hear them if I'm in the house and the door has to be left open if in use so if I'm in the garden and away from the Nanny Cam, I can see and hear any problems. This is all fenced off to stop unsupervised access by little ones as the climbing frame etc are higher, and I always worry about little ones walking in front of a child on a swing and getting kicked.
So - the VERY small area closest to the house is where the 2 year olds could have free flow and still be seen by me if I have a baby with me too small to be outside in all weathers. only really big enough for the LT slide and not much else. I have a crawler at the moment so the door to the outside would have to be closed to stop him falling down the step and the little ones are too little to use the door handle. So this isn't exactly "flowing"!
Ideas on a Postcard please>

loocyloo
05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
i don't have really have freeflow play for my LO ... its usually one out, all out! and we either all play in the area by the house ( patio/gravel ) with the playhouse, sand/water/rideons etc or we go into the main garden and play football/slide/swing etc. the ride ons usually make it down onto the grass and if its nice and we will be out all the day, i will often set up sand and water activities plus other stuff on the lawn too.

the schoolies have built a den in the trees, but they are LOUD and i can hear and see them, their rule is that at least 2 of them have to be there to play, so if something happens, one can get me!

lilac garden, your garden sounds wonderful and i want to come and play!

Tink
05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
It seems to be happening too often and I am glad they have been arrested:angry:
When I worked at nursery the children didn't even step foot outside until one of us had checked and risk assessed the outside area. They were never allowed outside unsupervised!!!
These people need a reality check and fast!!!!!

dette
05-10-2012, 08:39 AM
my youngest had 2 very serious incidents at his nursery school last year.their outdoor space is down a steep set of exterior stone steps about 14 steps.when it was time to go back in my LO who had only turned 3 at end of august,this was late september,was left behind ,on his own in the playground and locked out.In the playground was water trays ,climbing equipment etc and he was alone for 20 min before they noticed he hadnt come in,luckily for him he didnt come to any physical harm but was very frightened.
Then in january they allowed a class of 3 and 4 year olds onto an ungritted playground covered in ice.my little boy fell on his face and had the worst black eye ive seen on a child,half his face was bruised and swollen,they didnt even put it in accident book.
I was livid and insisted on them changing their procedures both times.should have reported to OFSTED but the head was apologetic and admitted it was her fault...I agree that the ratio is wrong for such little ones and its only when it all goes horribly wrong that it gets looked at ...i cried for days thinking about my little boy..i imagined him laying face down in the water play for 20 min or hanging on equipment or fractured scull at the bottom of the steps ...just horrible

nipper
05-10-2012, 08:43 AM
It was her first day at nursery wasn't it?

lilac_dragon
05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=loocyloo;1166630]i don't have really have freeflow play for my LO ... its usually one out, all out! and we either all play in the area by the house ( patio/gravel ) with the playhouse, sand/water/rideons etc or we go into the main garden and play football/slide/swing etc. the ride ons usually make it down onto the grass and if its nice and we will be out all the day, i will often set up sand and water activities plus other stuff on the lawn too.

the schoolies have built a den in the trees, but they are LOUD and i can hear and see them, their rule is that at least 2 of them have to be there to play, so if something happens, one can get me!

Thank you:blush:
We too, spend whole days out in the garden , only coming in for toilet breaks and to refill water bottles. My parents all have tiny modern gardens and really appreciate the space the children have to play and explore. Some of my present Mums were childminded by me when they were little, and all remember my garden with great fondness!

loocyloo
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=loocyloo;1166630]i don't have really have freeflow play for my LO ... its usually one out, all out! and we either all play in the area by the house ( patio/gravel ) with the playhouse, sand/water/rideons etc or we go into the main garden and play football/slide/swing etc. the ride ons usually make it down onto the grass and if its nice and we will be out all the day, i will often set up sand and water activities plus other stuff on the lawn too.

Thank you:blush:
We too, spend whole days out in the garden , only coming in for toilet breaks and to refill water bottles. My parents all have tiny modern gardens and really appreciate the space the children have to play and explore. Some of my present Mums were childminded by me when they were little, and all remember my garden with great fondness!

awww, that is so lovely. i've just 'aquired' some mindees whose previous minder had a small modern garden, and mum loved the fact that my garden is a 'tad' overgrown ;) and 'natural' for the children!

JCrakers
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
That's heart breaking..Poor poor parents :(

I cant even imagine how they must have felt

One of my mindees grandmas owns a nursery and she's just had to discipline two members of staff for leaving 2x2yr old outside on their own for 10mins.

When everyone came in after outside play they left two behind

The Juggler
05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Chanced are if there was a few children out there you'd hear them just not be able to hear if one went quiet

exactly if a child falls and knocks themselves unconcious or is choking you could hardly hear them :panic: