PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a house rabbit?

mushpea
03-10-2012, 10:36 AM
My male rabbit was very lonley when his friend died so we adopted another adult rabbit as a friend but she came with baby girl rabbit! then my old rabbit passed away on sunday and left a 7yrold male on his own, the original decision was to have baby as a house rabbit but now that the 7yrold is on his own we have a choice, we either get another older female for him and still have baby as a house rabbit or put baby with 7yrold when shes a bit bigger.
so does anyone have a house rabbit and how much do they destroy your home! theres not much too chew in our house and the only wires she could get to are now rapped in piping so are safe but I just wonded if they do make good house pets or if shes better off outside

diamond
03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi

We used to have a house rabbit. She was fantastic and I would definitely recommend it. We have had rabbits outside too but you see and get much more from a house rabbit. Yes she did chew quite a few things so you have to make sure you can rabbit proof your house as much as possible. We trained her to use a litter tray like a cat ( she would even run inside to use it if she was outside) and she would respond to a dog training clicker.
Unfortunately she became ill and died quite young but she was a pleasure to have.

~Grasshopper~
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
i used to have a house rabbit, she used to chew everything, skirtingboards, patio door frame, sofa's carpet and once got trapped behind the washing machine and chewed the wires :panic:.

But she was very clean and fab.

our current rabbit has her own shed with 4 guinea pigs to keep her company, they are one big happy family.

x

mum22
03-10-2012, 12:17 PM
We had 2 house rabbits and yes the odd skirting board and sofa end were chewed, but the joy they bring is second to none, absolutely the best indoor pet but we did let them play in the garden as nothing better than to watch them tearing around jumping for joy in the air. Xx

silvermist
03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
We had a house Rabbit, Ruby, she was incredible. DD aged 7 yrs trained her to use a litter tray in 2 weeks, she never chewed anything but would lay in her 'bed' under the radiator. She would run upstairs to see dd if she left the room. Many times I found Ruby laying on the bed with dd. She would come when called, beg for treats and was just a beautiful pet. I highly recommend having a house rabbit, we really missed ours when she passed away suddenly. Good luck xxx

tamsin
03-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes, Scamp. He's neutered & litter trained and adores the kids.

It really depends on the rabbit and the furnishings. Scamp has a bit of a thing about the corner of the carpets but many rabbits don't. There are also a few scratch marks where he uses his teeth to open the cupboards and nick toys.

I would try them inside and see how they get on. It's really lovely having them inside as they are much more part of the family.

If they don't get on, you should have no problem getting an older neutered female from a rescue to pair him up with outside.

Tam

p.s. while we're on rabbits - please if you have one, get them vaccinated! I run an advice forum on rabbits and we have so many people with pet bunnies suffering for myximatosis at the moment. It's pretty much fatal and horrible to deal with.

cathtee
03-10-2012, 09:03 PM
My dd has 2 they do like to chew, the sky remote has gnawed buttons books and any wooded furniture, but they love them and they are so cute

winstonian
04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
We have an outside rabbit who is welcome in the house too. The kids love it when she hops in, however she has bitten through the telephone cable 3 times, chewed the hoover cord, various book and is always chewing holes in fancy dress clothes.............but we love her and she settles any children who are crying!

blue bear
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
We have one, he's really great when you are sad or Ill, he just seems to know and sits on your lap or lays right next to you. He it trained to use a tray in the bathroom and does not 'go ' anywhere else including outside.
He has chewed doors, skirting boards and husbands clothes (no one else's) he has a very scary growl which he uses as a warning if you get too in his face which can be scary for lo's so I tend to shoo him away. To be honest I'd never trust any animal with a child so don't let him be with the children.
He uses a cat flap to. Go out in the garden and come back in :)

mushpea
05-10-2012, 07:57 AM
so what do you all use to rabbit proof the wires in your home,, we have them be hind the tv in the living room which we can board of and this would be the main room she would live in but I hadnt really thought about the other rooms, upstairs in the spair room there are lots of wires going to the freezer , xbox, playstation, tv plus the phone wire!
we have got some plastic piping type stuff for the ones in the living room too but some of the wires for the washing machine etc are hard to get too for humans but proably not for rabbits!

tamsin
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Depends on the area, you can use plastic ducting, cable tidies, hose pipe split length ways etc. or block the area off completely eg if there is a narrow gap stick a block of wood in they can't get past.

It's quite like childproofing, you just have to go around the house thinking what could the nudge, squeeze into or bite.

blue bear
05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Ours is not allowed in the children's bed rooms as they are useless at keep wires tidy, lots of nagging to make them always shut their doors but it's worked.rabbit knows he is not allowed in their rooms and will sit bashful ly looking in on the threshold. I'm sure he'd hop in if I wasn't there though.

We have put wires behind skirting boards, uses plastic piping, boarded up desks to hide wires and cable ties.