PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journal

Vickib31
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi,

I've just started out minding a 14 month old about a month ago, I have been filling out a daily contact book for him, including eating, nappies, sleeping. I have had so much to sort I totally forgot I should be doing a scrap book for him, should this be all in one with the contact book info and do I put a copy of his observations in there??

Then I logged on here and saw discussions about learning journals, what would go in those? I assume I don't need to do stuff like this for the after school children i look after?

Do I need a tracker as well? Getting quite confused with everything I need to do.....:panic:

VeggieSausage
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Daily diary - everyday stuff you have done, what he has had for lunch etc

Learning Journey or scrapbook - observations, photos, track where they are developmentally (this could just be noting beside the odd observation where they are in the age category for that development matter), send it home every now and then with an assessement of their achievements over the last period since you gave them the folder last and ask parents to comment and sign they've seen it.

sarah707
03-10-2012, 05:16 PM
You have to show that the child is making good progress while with you from their starting points - the things they could do when they first arrived.

you will do this through observations, assessments and individual / next steps planning to follow his interests and teach new things.

Most childminders use a Learning Journey or scrap book... :D

Vickib31
03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Thank you both for getting back to me, think i need to start sorting his scrapbook tomorrow and get some observations sorted! :)