PDA

View Full Version : Fire Drill / Visitors

bubbly
01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I know I need to keep a written record of when we practice our fire drill and who is present. Is it ok just to write this info in a normal 2008 diary?

Also, I read somewhere I need to keep a record of any visitors to the house. Is this correct and if so, is it ok just to pop this info in the same diary mentioned above?

Just wondering if I need to generate my own paperwork or not.

Thankies :)

Lou
01-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I just have a form for fire drills, its v simple, just date of fire drill and which children were present. Hubby told me legally you should do a fire drill every 6 months. I do it once a month on different days as all mine are part time and come diferent days iykwim.

for visitors book, i just have a simple notebook, which has following collums:
Name, Time in/time out and reason for visit.

Ofsted were more than happy with my stuff.

sarah707
01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I do mine once a month as well... and every day when I knew my inspection was coming up as I was warned the inspectors have a nasty habit of asking children what they'd do if the fire alarm goes off... and she did!

I also burn the tea quite a lot, so after schoolers are regularly involved in 'what would we do if this was real?' conversations... :laughing:

miffy
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I do a fire drill every three months but always soon after new children start so they know what to do.

Just keep a simple record of when and who was there maybe with a comment like whether I had to carry baby out or whatever.

I also keep a list of when batteries in smoke alarm are checked and/or changed.

Miffy x

gemmcd
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi - how do you do a fire drill? Do you set off your smoke alarm on test? We live in a large Victorian House on a University Campus. The smoke alarms are all interlinked to each other and also with the flats attached to the house, so if one goes off they all go off...and University security are automatically called. Due to the incredible high ceilings I would need to get a ladder out and even then not sure if it would reach and would need a broom or something - not the kind of thing to be doing with crawling babies. They run on mains with back up batteries - a light flashes when batteries are low or if a problem. they are serviced yearly by the installation company. We also have emergency lighting throughout the house if they go off. So it really is quite a palava! I am prepared to do it but not sure what the best thing to do is....

Just wonderd what everyone else does for a fire drill...

Gemmax

sarah707
02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I set the alarms off - but I can see how you wouldn't want to do that Gemma!! :panic:

How about a loud clock alarm set to ring? Then introduce that to the children as the alarm and ask - 'now, what should we do?' And take it from there...

I put a child oriented evacuation procedure with pictures in files a while ago... have a look and see if that gives any ideas :D

gemmcd
02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Sarah - where can I find the files?! I am a bit dopey this morning!

gemmax

Trouble
02-01-2008, 06:48 PM
my husband is a h&S officer on your fire drill it needs to say who is there , ages and how long it takes because everytime you do a fire drill it should be quicker, also up hear one inspector told a childminder the alarms should be tested every week and a drill should be done every week:eek:
hope this helps

sarah707
02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Sorry Gemma I should have been clearer... the files are at the top of the forum, next to the Santa pics... the pics are in 'members resources' but...

I just realised they're password protected cos Pauline found lots of stuff for sale on ebay... sorry!

WEEKLY Rascal??? WEEKLY??? Oh heck! Since when I wonder? I test alarms weekly but fire drills are monthly... think I will email Ofsted and see what they say on the matter...

To be continued... xx

Trouble
02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry Gemma I should have been clearer... the files are at the top of the forum, next to the Santa pics... the pics are in 'members resources' but...

I just realised they're password protected cos Pauline found lots of stuff for sale on ebay... sorry!

WEEKLY Rascal??? WEEKLY??? Oh heck! Since when I wonder? I test alarms weekly but fire drills are monthly... think I will email Ofsted and see what they say on the matter...

To be continued... xx

I was a bit shocked too

Tily Bud
02-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi

I like some of the other have an A5 notebook as my visitors book and have a homemade form to record my fire drills in x

I carry out drills once a month on different days so that all the mindees are familiar with the routine - the last one was quite funny we all had no shoes on so ended up standing outside with no coats or shoes ! good job it was a fine day lol .

Cheryl x

sarah707
02-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I have sent an email to Ofsted saying we have been having this discussion and their inspectors appear to be giving mixed messages. I have asked for a definitive answer....

... doubt I will get one, but you never know!!

LittleMissSparkles
03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
their reply will be interesting Sarah.... like you say if you get one !

I try to do a fire drill once a month and record down who was there what tme it was which exit we went out off etc

xxx

sarah707
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Ah well.... knew it wouldn't be helpful :laughing:

Dear Ms Neville

Thank you for your email.

Ofsted do not provide guidelines on alarm testing and fire drill practice. I can advise that you should contact your local Fire Service and Local Authority for up to date regulations, because this is what Ofsted would expect you to comply with. I would also suggest writing what they tell you into your own policies/paperwork so that you can produce this at an inspection.

I hope this helps. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Carrie Vickers

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

bubbly
03-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Ah well.... knew it wouldn't be helpful :laughing:

I can advise that you should contact your local Fire Service and Local Authority for up to date regulations, because this is what Ofsted would expect you to comply with. I would also suggest writing what they tell you into your own policies/paperwork so that you can produce this at an inspection.

Oh well, about as clear as mud then lol

LittleMissSparkles
03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
so heart warming to now they no what they are talking about ....... !!!!

Rubybubbles
03-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi

I like some of the other have an A5 notebook as my visitors book and have a homemade form to record my fire drills in x

I carry out drills once a month on different days so that all the mindees are familiar with the routine - the last one was quite funny we all had no shoes on so ended up standing outside with no coats or shoes ! good job it was a fine day lol .

Cheryl x

I did this too lol, but from this I thought we should all wear slippers, but I can't stand them and you can't get right down and comfy with the kids with them on! I guess in a real fire you wouldn't give a monkeys (no offensive Monkey hehe)

I test my alarms once a week, and have a laminted sheet to tick off (monthly plan one) and fire alarm once a month. Prettu much same as everyone.

LOL at setting the alarm off Sarah!! My sister was up before xmas and set it off doing cheese on toast:eek: :rolleyes: so we all talked about what to do then like yourself

deeb66
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I too do a drill once a month and log who was present, where the pretend fire is, what exit we used, how long it took to get out of the house and any additional comments i .e how the children reacted/performed.

I am not going to do this on a weekly basis....

Mollymop
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
It's a good job I read this as I was going to do a fire drill every week! lol.
Now I have changed my policy to monthly.