PDA

View Full Version : EYFS follow on course

Northernbird72
17-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi,

Completed my EYFS follow on course tonight where I was told that I didn't have to complete any observations for children who were in full time education in September as they would be covered by the school. I thought I had to cover them until they reached six!! Has anyone else had the same info? Thrilled if it's right, as I've two less children to think about doing observations on.

Tracy

theoldwoman
17-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I went on a course on Saturday and was told we have to do them until the September after they are five but she also said we only do them if we are the primary carer - which surely School is! I don't understand, and what about the poor little children whose mummies stay at home with them and don't get any of this!!

Sue:o

sarah707
18-06-2008, 07:12 AM
We are legally obliged to do observations / assessments / planning for children in the EYFS - which is from birth until they are at the end of their Reception year.

EYFS does not say how much we have to do - if they are part time, then of course you need to aim to complement what they are doing elsewhere, rather than attempt to deliver the whole curriculum by yourself.

What we do not have to do is the final assessment at the end of Reception - that is down to the setting where they spend most of their time - which is usually school.

It is all set down in the Statutory Guidance ... I think your trainer must have misread it Tracy. :D

Northernbird72
18-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Sarah:(

My enormous high of last night has just come crashing down around my ears!! Thought it was too good to be true. My concern is with my reception age children who I have for an hour or less each day including travelling time to school. How am I suppose to observe during this busy time in the morning as well as meet and greeting all the arrivals and talking to parents? I can understand during holiday times when I have them for a longer time, is there a time element to it at all?

Tracy:panic:

sarah707
18-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I have written each child a routine sheet ... it covers everything they do during their time with me every day and links with their EYFS age and stage ...

Things like - taking off and putting on their coats (physical development); choosing what to eat (personal, social and emotional development); eating a healthy breakfast (physical development) ... etc. I went through all the eyfs lists for their ages and logged as many points as I could...

I don't alter this unless something changes, it just sits in their file.

Then I just watch their free play and when they do something new or different, I take a photo or make a note to add to their file.

I then have another piece of paper and if school or family say anything to me about the child, or I pass any info back that I want to remember, I write that down as well - shows I am attempting to work in partnership and complement the child's experiences elsewhere.

Nothing difficult or special - I am not meant to be delivering the whole of the EYFS to these children in an hour in a morning ... by doing it this way I am showing that I am meeting their needs without stressing myself over huge amounts of paperwork. I write while they play ... and don't feel I have to write something every day, just when I see something I want to note down.

I don't do themes with these children but if they ask for something, I get it out and if they show an interest in something I might print them more info, get a colouring for them off the internet etc ... I'd write this down as well, to show I'm meeting their needs.

Hope this helps to break it down for you! :D

Northernbird72
18-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Sarah,

I think you are a lovely lady and I need to be your best friend!!!:D
You make the whole thing sound so much easier and have great ideas. Thank you also for the ebook, I looked briefly at it last night and it is fantastic, I will definately be using your ideas. I will be back in touch with you soon no doubt, you fantastic fountain of knowledge:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Tracy

PS My smile has returned :D see!!

sarah707
18-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Sarah, I think you are a lovely lady and I need to be your best friend!!!:D Tracy

It's nice to make new friends ... especially when they are smiley people :D

crazybones
18-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Sarah,

I think you are a lovely lady and I need to be your best friend!!!:D
You make the whole thing sound so much easier and have great ideas. Thank you also for the ebook, I looked briefly at it last night and it is fantastic, I will definately be using your ideas. I will be back in touch with you soon no doubt, you fantastic fountain of knowledge:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Tracy

You cant have her. She is mine. (Stamps foot).
Ok maybe you can share, just a little share though :laughing:

Northernbird72
18-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not a greedy girl, I'm happy to share.

Thanks for all the support

Tracy x :D

ajs
18-06-2008, 03:12 PM
You cant have her. She is mine. (Stamps foot).
Ok maybe you can share, just a little share though :laughing:

you can both push off she was mine first

i'm the longest active member too so i'm stamping harder.

sorry though bff (best friend forever) sarah i also heard the same as tracey that if they are in full time school the onus is on them to do the obs, but no doubt this is one of those bits in the statutory guidance that they are addapting to suit themselves

my head is firmly wedged in the sand and i aint sharing my sand pit with anyone either

crazybones
18-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Ha you cant stamp - you might hurt your bad foot. You will have to pout. :D

Tily Bud
19-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I went on a course on Saturday and was told we have to do them until the September after they are five but she also said we only do them if we are the primary carer - which surely School is! I don't understand, and what about the poor little children whose mummies stay at home with them and don't get any of this!!

Sue:o

Me too !!

That is exactly what our tutor told Hazel and I on saturday also , wonder if we were on the same course :D

Ours is Cache level 3 certificate in EYFS , seemed good when we booked it until we got told at the last minute that it is a 6 month course and we sre also doing the CCLD NVq3 also ! Our brains are going to be spinning !!!