PDA

View Full Version : Christening Gifts?

Joda
25-09-2012, 09:49 AM
We've been invited to a Christening in October - I haven't been to a Christening for years and I am struggling to know what to buy. It's a friends baby daughter (a friend we don't see that often) so I don't want to get jewellery etc as I think that's more what family members may buy her. I was thinking of perhaps getting a book token - something that would be useful?

I can't recall what my own children received as Christening gifts as we asked for donations to Bliss (the premature baby charity) instead of gifts.

Roseolivia
25-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I usually buy an outfit.

silvermist
25-09-2012, 11:07 AM
What about a childrens bible, a photo frame, nice money box, a special ornament. I think its nice to give them something that they can keep forever. hth x

loocyloo
25-09-2012, 11:18 AM
when DD was baptised, she was given a pewter bubble pot !!! its very pretty and sits on her shelf, along with a couple of pretty china ornaments of little girls. we also had some nice childrens story books.

DS was given a thomas the tank engine collection, and a pewter tankard!

oh, the other thing DD was given was a wooden box, that had been painted and said '' DDs name box of memories ''. she keeps all her important bits & pieces in it.

mama2three
25-09-2012, 11:22 AM
It depends , are you religious , or is the family?

I personally buy something to reflect the fact that it is a 'christening' - not just a party!

So childrens bible , book of prayers , rosary beads , etc
Little less religious but still 'christian' - noahs ark toy / money box?

Or if its not religious at all - ( whole new debate but hey ho!) then I would still try and find something they can keep and treasure.

Chimps Childminding
25-09-2012, 11:45 AM
We went to a Mindees christening last year and bought him a nice Peter Rabbit breakfast set, plate, bowl, egg cup, but it was melamine so didn't have to worry so much about it getting broken!

christine e
25-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I bought one of these for something a bit different

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Hand-Print-Stepping-Stone/dp/B004BPT77C

Joda
25-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for your ideas - I like the Noahs Ark toy and the Stepping Stone handprint. Will have a look for a nice book too

sue m
26-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I bought my mindee her name and dob done in buttons from button junction - am I allowed to mention them - delete post if not - it was really pretty and the parents loved it. It's on her bedroom wall.

Maza
26-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I recently got a baby a prayer book for his Christening. It was from WH Smiths. All the prayers were little rhymes and they had prayers for food, special occasions, family, weather etc. I knew that the family weren't particularly religious and so it was perfect as the prayers are 'light hearted' (iyswim). Marks and Spencer also used to do a sweet prayer book but I couldn't find it in my local one.