PDA

View Full Version : Banjo bars ??

It's a small world
20-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Gosh Im on here alot tonight lol. This thread is a happy/good one.

Talking today about old sweets we remember and a friend of mine mentioned BANJO BARS. Similar size to a Twix and around the 70;s/80's .Chocolate bar with nuts on the top I think. I always like to try and get her something unusual for xmas and thought it would be a fab idea to try and get her these. Has anyone heard of them or know any websites etc where I might be able to purchase them ?

Big task but thought I would try xx

Joda
20-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Ooh I used to love Banjo bars! Sorry no idea where to get them from nowadays - if they are still made??

Maza
20-09-2012, 08:13 PM
I also used to love banjo bars. They are one of the first bars I remember. No idea if you can still get them. Have you googled it?

It's a small world
20-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I also used to love banjo bars. They are one of the first bars I remember. No idea if you can still get them. Have you googled it?

Yes tried to Google and all I can find is people asking where are they now?
Had a fab conversation remmebering old sweets and how some have changed their names.

Found a fab website Keepitsweet where it has a lot of old style sweets so doing hubby a hamper for xmas and ds's to show them what I used to have lol xxx

PixiePetal
20-09-2012, 08:22 PM
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

this one is good - but no banjos :(

no mint cracknells either :(:(

Mouse
20-09-2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

this one is good - but no banjos :(

no mint cracknells either :(:(

And no Spangles :crying:

It's a small world
20-09-2012, 08:27 PM
oooh thank you :clapping:

Mouse
20-09-2012, 08:31 PM
On the subject of old sweets, I remember when I went to dance lessons on a Saturday morning. We used to take 5p with us - 2.5p for a drink & a bag of crisps and 2.5p for sweets :laughing:

For that 2.5p we'd get a whole bag full - white mice, aniseed balls, blackjacks, fruit salads ...:clapping:

PixiePetal
20-09-2012, 08:39 PM
On the subject of old sweets, I remember when I went to dance lessons on a Saturday morning. We used to take 5p with us - 2.5p for a drink & a bag of crisps and 2.5p for sweets :laughing:

For that 2.5p we'd get a whole bag full - white mice, aniseed balls, blackjacks, fruit salads ...:clapping:

I went to ballet on a Saturday and had sixpence to spend in the sweet shop with my sisters :) we got loads!

Mouse
20-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I went to ballet on a Saturday and had sixpence to spend in the sweet shop with my sisters :) we got loads!

Not only did we get loads, but I'm sure the sweets were bigger as well :laughing:

PixiePetal
20-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Not only did we get loads, but I'm sure the sweets were bigger as well :laughing:

mahoosive :laughing: fruit salads were too big for a mouthful and really hard. Pineapple chunks were too big to close your mouth comfortably and gave you a sore roof to your mouth :laughing:

I usually got sherbet pips so I could eke them out - sweets were such a treat then:rolleyes:

It's a small world
20-09-2012, 08:47 PM
We were explaining to ds (9) that there used to be 1/2p and we would always buy the 1/2p sweets so we got more. DH always saying sweets getting smaller but Im not sure if we are just bigger. We had a fab conversation today remembering the old sweets like white choc fish and chips. Fish and chip crisps. Hedgehog flavour crisps anyone remember them and the trouble they caused?
Other items mentioned were millionaires (tiny sweets) , gold nuggets, cola cubes, hubba bubba the list was endless lol :laughing::laughing:

PixiePetal
20-09-2012, 09:10 PM
We were explaining to ds (9) that there used to be 1/2p and we would always buy the 1/2p sweets so we got more. DH always saying sweets getting smaller but Im not sure if we are just bigger. We had a fab conversation today remembering the old sweets like white choc fish and chips. Fish and chip crisps. Hedgehog flavour crisps anyone remember them and the trouble they caused?
Other items mentioned were millionaires (tiny sweets) , gold nuggets, cola cubes, hubba bubba the list was endless lol :laughing::laughing:

I could spend all day talking old sweets I remember :o

Bear23
20-09-2012, 09:12 PM
try here

http://www.sweetaddicts.co.uk/

get all my stuff from here x

NI MINDER
21-09-2012, 09:21 AM
And no Spangles :crying:

spangles were my all time favourite - was gutted when they went out of production :(

coffee-time
21-09-2012, 01:04 PM
ive mentioned Banjo bars to people over the years and no-one ever remembers them! i thought maybe id dreamt them up! im glad someone else remembers them too!
off to google them now;)

next best thing would be a drifter bar, do they still exist?

lisa1968
27-09-2012, 07:34 PM
you can still get drifters :)

I was just talking to OH about banjo bars last week-he cant remember them but my mum and dad ran a newsagents so I remember a lot of them.Banjos were chocolate covered wafer bars with a layer of chopped nuts just under the chocolate on the top.I loved them-wish someone would bring them back!!