PDA

View Full Version : Cats again

Trouble
20-09-2012, 06:55 PM
My poor cat is stressed bless her she is 16 we are having building work done and the cat has cystitus from the stress of her enviroment being disturbed :eek:

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/how-to-treat-common-cat-diseases5.htm

today and 1 day last week she has made a mess upstairs so i have binned everything and decided to buy her a litter tray but she wont even stand in it she just runs off as if to say not a chance, she normally goes outside.

so how do i get her to use it ?????

WibbleWobble
20-09-2012, 07:01 PM
our girls are 17 and 16. The 17yr old is very timid and started to mess upstairs. She only comes down to eat...she lives in DD2s bedroom.

we decided to get her a litter tray...it has to live in DD2s room as that is where the cat lives now...:rolleyes:

DD2 is on strict instruction to check the tray for mess at least 3 times a day.

It took the cat a while to get used to the tray (she was a poo outdoors cat). I would sit her in it and use her paws to dig....she got used to it withing 48 hours and its so much better for her- less stress.:thumbsup:

its not ideal- i wouldnt choose to have a litter tray in a bedroom but we really have no choice

wibble xxxx

Trouble
20-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Cheers wibble she looks so sad :(

she will have to stay in the kitchen tomorrow whilst im at work so hopefully she will get the message, then im off all weekend so i can watch her

the vet said will the builders be finished soon i said no they have only just put scaffold up:eek: she gave me some capsuals to give her like she is going to open her mouth and swallow them:idea: she obviosly doesnt have cats

i will have to hide them in fish or chicken:rolleyes:

sarah707
20-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Awww bless! It's bad enough worrying about the builders without worrying about the cat as well.

Is there a friend's house she can go to stay in while you're having the work done?

xxx

Beaka
20-09-2012, 07:13 PM
My cat is 11 and she got cystitis through stress when I first started minding (she's got used to it now!) but this natural product worked wonders at getting rid of it and I use it every other day now for prevention.

No idea how to get her to use litter tray though, mine has always used one in winter. xx

jaswinder bedi
20-09-2012, 07:20 PM
It could be the cat is stressed!!! When i go to visit my friend cat doesn't like any new person in the house it will sit outside or upstairs in the corner!!! Not eat or drink when iam there!!! Not sure if thats the case. They dont like changes i supose i am not with good cat but sharing my expierience!!

louise
20-09-2012, 07:25 PM
How about using soil in the tray? Mine use to have the gravel type and only liked the wood bits, they now refuse to use one.

sophia36
20-09-2012, 07:26 PM
We had the same problem with our beloved cat. We discovered she was messing in various places around the house. We got her a litter tray but she didn't want to know. It got so bad we were watching her like a hawk and pretty much confining her to the kitchen where we have a cat flap. The crunch time came when I caught her having a poo on some clean washing which was folded on the worktop:eek: Despite this I was still very reluctant to send her to the big cats playground in the sky (our vets only suggestion.)

We found some advice on he internet which suggested confining her to a puppy crate with the litter tray and her bed,food,water ect. It suggested doing this for 1-2 weeks. The advice said not to let her out at all until she used the litter tray and if she messed on her bed to remove that too. It said to give her lots of fuss whenever she used the litter tray and let her out for a wander about. Our cat didn't use the litter tray for nearly 2 days and i couldn't bear to look at her as I felt so guilty. However we followed the advice to the letter and have had no problems since:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm so glad we persevered as we absolutely adore her.

Beaka
20-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Forgot link :panic:

http://www.waterfall-d-mannose.com/

tamsin
21-09-2012, 01:10 AM
There is a product called feliway which is a spray (cheaper) or 'air freshener' style plugin that contains happy/safe cat smells to reduce stress. We used it with our elderly cat and she did seem to like the smell. Might be worth a go :)

teacake2
21-09-2012, 05:23 PM
When I have had these types of problems I sometimes resort to using puppy pads instead of litter trays (one cat had mobility problems and couldn't get in the tray), it worked for me but obviously might not work for everyone.
Teacake2

Trouble
21-09-2012, 06:00 PM
after standing her in the tray last night about 10 times this morning she decided to have her breakfast casually walk over have a wee in it and sit and look at me:laughing::laughing: as if to say there ive done it :D

today she has been sat across the street in the neighbours garden watching the builders she not a happy cat

thanks for your replies the all help

big hugs xxx