PDA

View Full Version : LJ 4 year olds ??

sharonmanc
17-09-2012, 12:05 PM
can i ask, I have 2 4 year olds in reception, 1 before and after school wed thur fri, and 1 after school on the same days. Am I right that i still have to do a LJ for them even though they are in school all day??

Also because I they are not in my setting that long, as most of the time is taken up by the school run, so really when i take out school run and having tea, they ahve about 50 mins of play, and they mainly choose to play outside. How much woudl i be expected to observe them.

they have only just started with me, but i have tried to do things on the school run, like collecting things for the autumn basket, so we can do collages when we have time. Not sure how much I am expected to observe them.

Any help appreciated

littlecheeks
17-09-2012, 12:29 PM
hello there, yes i am afraid so!
its hard to do much when you dont have them to long but you still have to keep ljs for them.
i will often do a obs on the way home from school, in the car or just talking to be. i try to fit in planned activities when i can as soon as we get in from school but not everyday.

amanda1309
17-09-2012, 12:44 PM
1.3 Wrap around3 and holiday providers4 should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

3 Care offered before and after a school day, e.g. by an after school club or by a childminder. 4 Provision exclusively in the school holidays.

This is taken from the 2012 statuatory framework. So the way I read this is that you don't have to do much just keep it simple.

sharonmanc
17-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you ladies, sorry I did not reply earlier. Yes think it will be simple, i am going to speak to their class teacher wednesday to see what themes they have this term, so at least we can look at these maybe from a different angle

sarah707
17-09-2012, 04:58 PM
hello there, yes i am afraid so!
its hard to do much when you dont have them to long but you still have to keep ljs for them.
i will often do a obs on the way home from school, in the car or just talking to be. i try to fit in planned activities when i can as soon as we get in from school but not everyday.

Littlecheeks you will be pleased to know that the revised EYFS has removed the requirement for childminders to meet all the learning and development requirements for children who attend school!

This change means we no longer have to write LJs etc for school children.

We must speak to children's parents and other settings to check how they want us to manage the children's needs.

Hope this clarifies :D

sharonmanc
17-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Sarah, mum has said that she wants little one to have a place to relax after school, does this then mean that i dont have to do obs, but can produce a scrap book with pics etc instead

sarah707
17-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Sarah, mum has said that she wants little one to have a place to relax after school, does this then mean that i dont have to do obs, but can produce a scrap book with pics etc instead

Yes that's a lovely idea!

Some of my schoolies do a scrap book - others choose not to do anything.

Either is fine :D