PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice!

Hooligan59
14-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I am currently on the Early Years Register and both bits of the Childcare Register, but due to some back problems have decided to now just care for children aged 5 and over, generally before/after school.

Now, my problem is this - do I cancel my Early Years Registration and just remain on the two Childcare Registers (which would cost me a lot more money) or do I stay as I am?:confused:
If I stay as I am, what will happen when they decide to inspect me (was due in May)? Will I have to show how I deliver the EYFS to the non-existent children?
I still have my EYFS portfolio, but obviously no children in that age group. So, another question - do I need to update that to reflect the changes if I am not going to look after under 5s?

I have tried looking on the Ofsted website, but can find no helpful information. I tried e-mailing and got a standard reply telling me to look at information about 'no children on roll' - but that page is not available on website. Also tried the NCMA - but they haven't replied, probably because I am no lomger a member.

Please can someone help me?:(

sarah707
14-09-2012, 11:45 AM
You can take a 3 year 'break' from childminding little ones without Ofsted de registering you from the Early Years Register.

You will get regular phone calls / letters from them during the 3 years.

Then, at the end of the 3 years you will need to decide whether to you want to resign or have a 'no children on roll' inspection.

Hth :D

pears
14-09-2012, 12:14 PM
hi,sounds like my situaton but i stayed on the early years register as i was happy to look after 3 and four year olds who went either to school or playgroup for the day so i was basically just providing wrap around care.i was inspected last year and the inspector came up to school with me at the end of my inspection and as i was caring for a four year old i had done a lj for him so that meant she could inspect me on that basis BUT now i have heard that you dont need to do lj for children that you provide that care for so not sure what i will be inspected on now,still doing scrapbooks and working in partnership with parents and school but dont know if it will be enough,bit confused.

Hooligan59
14-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Sarah.

I was aware that I could take a 3 year 'break', but will they still inspect me if I have children on the Childcare Register or would that only happen if I was in the 'random' selection of people on the Childcare Register?

Pears - it is all a bit confusing isn't it? Life was so much easier in the 'good old days' when you knew exactly what your inspection would be about! I remember the days of Social Services annual inspections, when they were more concerned about the safety of your home than a child's 'learning journey'! I was looking at my reports last night and thinking how less stressful those annual inspections were. Even though they happened each year, I usually knew when they would happen and could be prepared. None of this wondering at what point after the three years is up you will get 'the call'!

sarah707
14-09-2012, 01:41 PM
As far as I can tell not many people are being inspected on the CR - they simply don't have time.

They are supposed to be doing a representative sample though so some inspections are happening.

I wouldn't worry about it though! As long as you are meeting the requirements you will be fine :D

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-childcare-register-childminders-and-home-childcarers

Hooligan59
14-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I am certain I meet the requirements. Have all my policies etc written and adapted for each of the Registers.

Not too worried about it all, was just a bit confused!:)