PDA

View Full Version : grandparent

Teresa Ramsier
12-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi
my daughter is going back to teaching after christmas. I will have the pleasure of looking after her baby. To give her a chance of claiming childcare tax credits I thought I may become a registered childminder. Anyone know if this could be a problem considering i am the childs granny??

tess1981
12-09-2012, 01:39 PM
not sure if it the same in England (Im N.I.) but i know a cm who looks after her grandchildren my sister used to mind my children. think the only ones you cant look after for money are your own... :mad: lol

AgentTink
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
You can look after your granddaughter and your daughter receive tax credits as long as you look after one other child who is unrelated to you, as this shows that you are a childminder.

The below fact sheet on HMRC says the following:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/who-qualifies/children/approved-childcare.htm

If your child is looked after by your partner or a relative

You can't claim tax credits for childcare provided by your partner.
You can't usually claim tax credits for childcare provided by relatives, even if they're registered or approved.
A relative could be your child's:

parent
grandparent
aunt or uncle
brother or sister
step-parent
A relative is not necessarily a 'blood' relative. If you have a partner, it also includes their relatives.
When you can claim for childcare provided by relatives

You can only claim tax credits for childcare provided by a relative if the relative is either:

a registered childminder who cares for your child outside of your child's own home
a childcare provider, approved under a Home Child Care Providers Scheme in Wales or Northern Ireland, who cares for your child outside of your child's own home - but they must also care for at least one other child who's not related to them

Ripeberry
12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
And then you have all the paperwork and inspections on top. Is it woth it for the tax credits seeing that yhey have now been cut back.

Angela234
12-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I registered in 2003 to look after my grandson and grandaughter my son claimed i have since cared for all 7 of my grandchildren and many other children after i started earning more money and only used 1 space for grandchildren i didn't charge i could make enough money on the other spaces that was my choice.
Yes there's a lot of work, courses, expenses not to forget the inspections but it has been well worth i'm so lucky having so much time with my grandchildren and i have cared for lots of lovely children aswell

Rebecca Foster
12-09-2012, 04:14 PM
No i dont think there will be a problem, but just contact ofsted to double check the procedures

:)