PDA

View Full Version : how do you get through it???

primula
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Has anyone fell out with their 'kids' ( adult ones) my oldest fell out with me a couple of years ago (over a misunderstanding) and i have really tried to make amends but it is 1 step forward and 3 back, picked up his birthday present from my mum's but still wont speak, just a text to say thanks and that's it... has anyone been through the same and how the hell do you cope??

Pipsqueak
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Not got adult kids myself (two teens and a youngero one)

I would say - perhaps write them a letter, a heartfelt one telling them how much you love and miss them, that you are sad this situation continues and you do not want to be estranged and then just say that whenever they are ready your heart and home and arms will always be open.

sometimes when we are younger we believe life, our parents and us are infinite and sometimes we leave things (almost) too late.

its also hard sometimes to climb down of your high horse and admit you are wrong or just plain stupid or even just to put differences aside.

kindredspirits
11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Well speaking from the other side, I haven't spoken to either of my parents since I was 17. The reason we fell out was serious, very serious to me but they seemed to think that I would just allow it to blow over and about a year after I last saw them I got sent invitations to their wedding, no letter etc.
I think that whatever it was you fell out over, just apologise and perhaps be a bit humble and explain that even as parents we get things wrong sometimes but the intention is always good.
Inoperable you manage to sort it out, it is a good sign if they are accepting birthday presents from you as I wouldn't let my parents pee on me if I was on fire the way I feel about them x

The Juggler
11-09-2012, 09:01 PM
oh hon, that is so sad. A few members of my family have been like this/been victim of it over the years. It so sad and wasted.

I too, would write a letter telling exactly what I felt. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what you can do but if it were me, i'd have to try. good luck :)

sarah707
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
It's so sad when families hurt each other. Sometimes you have to accept that you clash and move on as friends with differences.

Hugs xx