PDA

View Full Version : Bad year to be a teenager :-(

Ripeberry
11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Lots of teenagers on the estate where I live and out of the 8 that have left school only 3 are going onto higher education. None have a job as there are none and we are out in the countryside.
So if this kind of thing gets multiplied all over the country and they are closing down youth centers.

Should the government be surprised if trouble starts to escalate with all these youths with no hope or future :-(

Maza
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
It's a very neglected age group isn't it? :(

BucksCM
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I help at our youthclub and numbers are down...it's the 13/14-17 yearolds that aren't coming because we don't allow smoking on the premises!!
Trouble is, they would rather sit in a field, in the dark, in the cold drinking and smoking...and I don't mean cigarettes!! Yes...at 13!!!! Parents are not in control!

My son left school after his A levels and didn't want to go to uni but I told him he had to get a job...he did, in one of the local pubs, started as a pot washer in the kitchen at the beginning of the year(part time) and has worked hard...he now does front of house and waiting, and this week is in the kitchen on his own! I'm proud of him. It's not what he wants to do for the rest of his life but at 18 I don't expect him to know tbh.

It is sad that funding has been taken from "youth", this is one area that needs it more than anything!

loocyloo
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
i overheard ( well, mum was shouting! ) a mum talking to her friend in the shops the other day about how useless it was ... her DD wants to leave school now she has done her gsces, but because she doesn't know what she wants to do, there isn't a job she wants to do, if she doesn't go back to school or college, then she won't get any money.

her friend was saying why doesn't she go to college, then she would get an allowance.

the mum kept saying,but she doesn't want to, why should she have to go to school if she doesn't want to? why should she have to get a job if she doesn't want to?

the friend walked off in the end!

i felt so mad, and the DD in question just stood there like a lump chewing gum!

no point to my post, just to share!

The Juggler
11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
not sure the HE even makes a difference. I was watching some programme the a while back. All fairly new graduates, all been out of work over a year and couldn't get a job. If they had interviews it was for a job they could have done without a degree. some of them were given a temp (3 month) apprenticeship in a car factory or somewhere - fab and one got a job - but he didn't need a degree to do that.

At £9k a year now, what a waste of money. :panic:

I hope they bring back some kind of scheme with more vocational qualifications so you work, gain experience, earn some cash and maybe get a job - I'm quite fearful for our ones at school now - what will it be like when they leave :panic:

no job and no way of ever in a million years affording a house :panic:

EmmaReed84
11-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I think the problem is with some "kids" is that they are too fussy with work.

When SIL was 16 she got a Saturday job at the local chip shop, she then went to college and did work in the week evenings too. She left college and got an apprenticeship working Mon-Fri 9-5... She kept her Saturday job at the chip shop, she has just been given a full time job, a proper wage... guess what... She is STILL working every Saturday at the chip shop, when asked why by her mates her answer was.... "What you expect me to live with my Mum and never own my own house for the rest of my life?"

Her mates laugh at her for working in a "smelly greasy shop" but at the end of the day she will be the one who has the last laugh.

DH used to work delivering Chinese takeaway, I once worked in the very chip shop SIL works at now, MIL used to work in a packing factory... you get what you can. I know some teenagers who turn their nose up at them kinds of jobs, but money is money and experience is experience.

Ripeberry
11-09-2012, 05:41 PM
i overheard ( well, mum was shouting! ) a mum talking to her friend in the shops the other day about how useless it was ... her DD wants to leave school now she has done her gsces, but because she doesn't know what she wants to do, there isn't a job she wants to do, if she doesn't go back to school or college, then she won't get any money.

her friend was saying why doesn't she go to college, then she would get an allowance.

the mum kept saying,but she doesn't want to, why should she have to go to school if she doesn't want to? why should she have to get a job if she doesn't want to?

the friend walked off in the end!

i felt so mad, and the DD in question just stood there like a lump chewing gum!

no point to my post, just to share!

Its just so sad, no ambition, no wish to better yourself..just sit around :-(

Ripeberry
11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I think the problem is with some "kids" is that they are too fussy with work.

When SIL was 16 she got a Saturday job at the local chip shop, she then went to college and did work in the week evenings too. She left college and got an apprenticeship working Mon-Fri 9-5... She kept her Saturday job at the chip shop, she has just been given a full time job, a proper wage... guess what... She is STILL working every Saturday at the chip shop, when asked why by her mates her answer was.... "What you expect me to live with my Mum and never own my own house for the rest of my life?"

Her mates laugh at her for working in a "smelly greasy shop" but at the end of the day she will be the one who has the last laugh.

DH used to work delivering Chinese takeaway, I once worked in the very chip shop SIL works at now, MIL used to work in a packing factory... you get what you can. I know some teenagers who turn their nose up at them kinds of jobs, but money is money and experience is experience.

Well done to her. My parents didn't like us just sitting around, kept turfing us out of the house each day to find a job. She took no nonsense and made sure that we did not just 'sit there'.

Its so hard these days. You just expect it to get better for your kids not worse.