PDA

View Full Version : Just checking please

Dilly Daydream
06-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi

I just want to check that I am correct in what I am thinking.

I have had a Mum wanting a school pick up starting in Oct. Little girl is 4 (5 in Jan) she will be attending school full time in Oct and I already have my quota of 0-5 yr group (no one currently in 5-8yr group though) - Am I correct in thinking I can do this as she is in full time education she moves up into the next age bracket? (I am sure my ofsted inspector told me this is the case when she came to do my pre-reg visit but that seems like ages ago!!).

Mum is wanting school holiday cover for her too and I am assuming this would be ok also?

Do I have to follow EYFS with her as by the time we will have got home from school, done drinks and snacks there is only an hour before the after schoolies are collected so just need to know so I can plan the after school activities better.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure my train of thought is correct before I go ahead and start with the contract etc! Mum has already been let down by one childminder this month and I dont want to add to the stress by saying I can do this then find out that I cant!

Many Thanks in advance
Helen

gegele
06-09-2012, 08:54 AM
yes she count as 5 and over as she's in full time education, no you don't have to do EYFS as school does it

bunyip
06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Your 4/5 yo at school does not count as an EY child in terms of numbers/ratios. (Bear in mind they still count against your total number of under-8's.)

You don't have to deliver the full EYFS Development Matters programme, as the school will be regarded as the main setting. You're meant to work with the family and school to support her learning and needs. This doesn't have to be difficult. If school set her reading practice/homework, then you ask the parents if they'd like her to do it at yours, or with them at home. If school is doing a theme, and you do games/crafts with her, you might like to link to the theme. IME, reception children can be very tired after school: there's nothing wrong with letting her rest and relax if that is her individual need at the time. OTOH, some are full of energy after being cooped up in class - so she might want to charge aroungd the garden like a mad thing. Again, fine - that's her individual need. :thumbsup:

Note that she is still strictly an EY child until 31 August 2013. I know that sounds a bit contradictory set against what I've said above. It just means that all the other EYFS regulations still apply to her.

If you want to confirm this, see EYFS Statutory Framework sections 1.3 and 3.40.

Dilly Daydream
06-09-2012, 10:52 AM
thanks for the replies, confirmed what I thought and gave me some additional things to think about too.

Get the feeling Mum is just happy for her to come round and play. The little girls cousins are with me for 3 out of the 4 nights she will be with me and Mum is happy that they are here with her as they are a very close family.

I have just had to write another essay on a seperate thread as I now have issues with the early years 2 I already have.

Thanks again for the replies xx

dawn100
07-09-2012, 11:00 AM
When I had my pre-reg visit the lady from ofsted said that what some childminders get wrong is that they think the minute a child starts reception they count as an over 5 however it is only from when they are attending school full time i.e. after they have settled into school and are attending 5 full days and not whilst they are in the settling in process if that makes sense