PDA

View Full Version : Mains Powered Smoke Alarms - Scotland!

scottishlass
05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi

I have the fire service come out to my house 2 weeks ago to do a safety check as part of my registration process. Whilst here the firemen supplied and fitted new smoke alarms, I said to them that I thought I might have needed mains powered ones and he said no it was ok as wasn't going to be using upstairs bedrooms.

I have just received their letter with their recomendations and they say on it I need to get 2 mains powered smoke alarms - eek! Am going to try phoning them tomorrow to see what they say as have been told there are no grants avail here now so would be a lot to pay out! All the other things I have to do are pretty simple - oh and have been told I must have the socket covers too!

Has anyone else had this after a visit (also they called at 5.45pm on a friday night to say they were coming and arrived at 6.30pm!!)

fionamadcat
07-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I haven't had this after a visit from fire service but I know that it does need to be mains powered smoke alarms. I had mine fitted around 2 yrs ago and it cost about 200 pounds. I think it is the Care Inspectorate that require them to be mains powered so I don't think you would get your registration without them. I may be wrong on that so someone might correct me. Good luck

fionamal
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
We do need Mains fire Alarms but not the socket covers.

My mains fire alarms on both downstairs and upstairs cost £170 a couple of years ago when we moved house but you can put that cost through as your startup for tax purposes.

Theres a bit of an issue about socket covers but there is now more danger in using them than not hving them so the SCSWIS dont bother either way anymore , its purley upto us if we use them or not.

christina1
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
i had to put them into our house and it cost £350 am suppose to be getting a grant sent in the paperwork months ago still not seen it :angry:

scottishlass
10-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys - have double checked and yep defo need to get them :( I better get saving as they don't to grants in edinburgh anymore! (so i have been told!)

lynncjt
16-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Just to confirm I had to get mains fitted ones as well and they had to be connecting which in an old house is not easy, so had to have radio connected which cost about £350 for 2, I needed 3 because of the layout of the house but did get a grant for £250 from Aberdeenshire council.

scottishlass
16-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately there is no grant in edinburgh anymore :( I have emailed a few companies for quotes and so far £150 has been the cheapest (altho that has been without seeing the house!)

Don't really want to pay out till I know reg is going ahead but any ideas if theyu would approve of this?

:)

scottishlass
10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi

Just a wee update - got my mains powered alarms fitted at the weekend for £120 which was supplying and fitting so seems this was quite a reasonable price :)