PDA

View Full Version : Any male childminders on here?

lovechildcare1
04-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Hello,

I just been speaking to a male childminder who I know and he says he is on the verge of giving up childminding all together due to the prejudice and stereoptyping and discrimination from parents and the wider public.

I don't want to put anyone off but has anyone else experienced this and what have you done to overcome such barriers? Also what advice would you give to someone who is a male and is in this situation?

sarah707
04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes there are quite a few!

I see you have answered this thread already -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106132&highlight=male

It saddens me that there is so much discrimination. My partner works with me and loves it!

I hope your friend can find a way of making it work :D

*daisychain*
04-09-2012, 07:41 PM
not really an answer to your question sorry, but my husband began working as my full time assistant yesterday and the kids love him ! It's so nice that they have a possitive male role model as two of my little people don't have daddys. My only problem with it has been they seem to prefer him to me now !! How very dare they !!:laughing:

Bear23
04-09-2012, 07:44 PM
i was wondering this the other day, where did gareth go?

Twinkles
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Gareth is still minding. He just doesn't come on here so much now.

He overcame the prejudice but he had a long battle.

My DH is also a minder and he often feels that if a parent chooses not to use us after the first interview it's somehow because of him.

TrevNDen
09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi
I'm glad I found this thread as I was beginning to think it was just me.

I worked as my o/h assistant for a year and children we had adored me, so decided to register myself full time.

Some come arrange for a visit, thinking they would be seeing my wife, then when they realize i'm the only one minding at the moment, they seem to go else where, and others arrange for visit then they don't even show up, not even a call or text to cancel.

But I am not a quitter lol, so I will carry on.

I do have 1 mindee due to start visitation period next week, fingers crossed

sarah707
09-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi
I'm glad I found this thread as I was beginning to think it was just me.

I worked as my o/h assistant for a year and children we had adored me, so decided to register myself full time.

Some come arrange for a visit, thinking they would be seeing my wife, then when they realize i'm the only one minding at the moment, they seem to go else where, and others arrange for visit then they don't even show up, not even a call or text to cancel.

But I am not a quitter lol, so I will carry on.

I do have 1 mindee due to start visitation period next week, fingers crossed

I suggest a positive campaign to fight the discrimination - get out and about with the children, talk to the local newspaper, put information on local Facebook groups etc...

Make sure people know the quality care you are offering :D

starlight1
09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I have a male friend in a simular position...

He has qualified but been unable to get his first child...He actually cares for his dauther alone as mum walked out...

Rick
09-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I suggest a positive campaign to fight the discrimination - get out and about with the children, talk to the local newspaper, put information on local Facebook groups etc...

Make sure people know the quality care you are offering :D

Yep exactly what I did. I wrote posts and articles for my local website. I told my Family Information Service about it and they used it as a case study in their 'Celebrating Fatherhood' campaign. This has been picked up by someone doing research at Bath Uni. She is really interested in pursuing research on men who are primary caregiving fathers and doing the job I do.

In fairness I've not come across any discrimination at all, apart from sometimes not receiving replies when my female childminder friend did. It's all worked out really well and I am now full :D

Rick
09-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Hello,

I just been speaking to a male childminder who I know and he says he is on the verge of giving up childminding all together due to the prejudice and stereoptyping and discrimination from parents and the wider public.

I don't want to put anyone off but has anyone else experienced this and what have you done to overcome such barriers? Also what advice would you give to someone who is a male and is in this situation?

........in answer to your question don't give up. I found it hard to get mindees at first but you just have to get yourself out there, important for anyone but particularly male childminders. Don't get down if you come across discrimination, just use it as more determination to succeed :thumbsup:

gingerjames1
09-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I am also a male been minding for 8 years(been in childcare 13 years) work alongside my mum but have seperate ofsted registrations. Hang on in there mate buisness will pick up? Have u thought about a uniform? Me and my mum have had t-shirts, hoodies and raincoats with "registered and qualified childminder". this gets us so much notice and people always asking when im walking around the shops!!! But also hate going to other meeting with other local minders as all i ever get is dirty looks and have enough of that on the school run!!! Enjoy its the best decision i made to take up childminding and have not regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum