PDA

View Full Version : Hernia surgery?.

nikki thomson
03-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone, I have a hernia which is going to be repaired through keyhole day surgery, just wondered if any off u lovely ladies have had this surgery done or know someone who has, as I'd like to know how much time I'll need to recover.
I was thinking a few days? Is that realistic with the nature of our job? Any advice much appreciated, thanks. X

kindredspirits
03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
if you can manage without surgery don't do it!! my dh had hernia surgery at the end of jan and is still in pain now. he couldn't walk more than 10 steps for about 6 weeks and couldn't hold our then newborn baby for about 3 months.. then couldn't lift her for several weeks more.

The Juggler
03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
ouch honey. poor you. and kindred I remember how much pain your dh was in.

They normally don't repair hernias unless absolutely necessary. I have a dormant one (doesn't have any bits sticking through the hole) and it's fine - just need to be careful but if it's worrying or hurting you, you need it done. Phone your gp/practice nurse and talk it over and if there are any other options.

I have no idea how long recovery is honey sorry :panic:

miffy
03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a friend who recently had an emergency op for a strangulated hernia. She was told to do absolutely nothing for 6 weeks - no lifting etc.

Could you ring your consultant and find out a bit more about the recovery period

Miffy xx

Toothfairy
03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
About 2 years ago I had a strangulated and ruptured umbilical hernia. They thought at first they could do it by keyhole but in the end they had to do a full op. I was only in hospital for 24hrs but had to have 2 weeks off afterwards with no lifting or driving. I could really of done with a further couple of weeks off after that as I was in so much pain, but couldn't afford too.
Even with keyhole surgery you will be looking at a week off minimum with no lifting or driving.

Hope you get on ok, will be thinking of you x

clareelizabeth1
06-09-2012, 05:46 AM
So glad for this post. Oh has one and we have been thinking of getting it sorted but did not know much about it. I think I will advice him to wait as not being able to hold my newbord due December would be upsetting, and his job is so physical and as self employed I don't think we could afford it while I'm on maternity. He's not in pain though otherwise it would be a different matter.

Is it normal that he can push it back in.

wendywu
06-09-2012, 06:57 AM
I have had one done, i had my mum over to help me and we had a week of no car outings.

I had no pain at all and could walk the school run straight away, despite them saying it was going to be keyhole i ended up with a 7' scar and stitches.

Don't worry too much as i was fine, if you have no help then two weeks would be perfectly fine.:thumbsup:

kindredspirits
06-09-2012, 08:06 AM
So glad for this post. Oh has one and we have been thinking of getting it sorted but did not know much about it. I think I will advice him to wait as not being able to hold my newbord due December would be upsetting, and his job is so physical and as self employed I don't think we could afford it while I'm on maternity. He's not in pain though otherwise it would be a different matter.

Is it normal that he can push it back in.

yes that is normal. As long as its not causing him a lot of pain the advice from the leading surgeons and hospitals at the minute is called 'watchful waiting; - either wait for it to get worse, in which case surgery will be needed, or hopefully it will just remain the same and be more of a niggle. My Dh really regrets having it done, he is still in pain daily and still on strong pain relief - and it was heartbreaking for him not being able to hold our 3 week old baby. My advise would be to just google the symptoms of a strangulated hernia and make sure you watch out for any of those symptoms as strangulated can be serious and will need emergency surgery.